Denmark at Easter w/kids

Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Denmark at Easter w/kids

I will be driving to Denmark at the end of March for Easter vacation. I need to find a hotel that would be good for a family, 2 kids ages 4 and 2. Somewhere very centrally located to all the sites. Any apartment recommendations or hotels with family suites?
Nov 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM

You might try the Cab-Inn chain. We had a room with a lower twin and trundle bed, and two upper bunks when we were there. Very reasonable price. Small, but adequate. They have a website--do a search for Cab-Inn. They now have one in city center, which they didn't have when we were there, but the two others were a 15-minute walk or 5-minute bus ride to city center. Rooms in central Copenhagen are very expensive. Too bad Tivoli won't be open when you are there. The National Museum has a children's section though.
Nov 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM

I'm partial to the Mermaid Hotel, for its very convenient location (about the best possible) and its excellent breakfast. Its main drawback is that the shower drains right into the floor (no enclosed area), but it worked fine.

I think if you got a triple room there it would be fine, because children under 4 are allowed for free. I'm not sure how many beds you would get. The site http://www.gtahotels.com often lists this hotel quite cheaply.

The new Cab-Inn is in a convenient location, and because it is so new, it undoubtedly has nicer plumbing. The main drawback is, so far as I know, that it doesn't include breakfast, which really helps cut down on food costs in an expensive city like Copenhagen.
Nov 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Interesting you should mention the showers, Will. We found that quite frequently in Denmark. We quickly realized why there was a long-handled squeegee in the corner of every bathroom we encountered.
As I recall, the shower at the Cab-Inn was in an enclosed area, but in order to turn it on, you had to turn on the water in the sink, and then flip a lever to turn the shower on. My kids thought that was so funny.
Nov 27th, 2004, 11:44 PM

Annam, we had that type of shower you describe at the hostel in Aarhus.

Funny thing is, we stayed at 4* hotels in Paris and Berlin this summer, and their showers were less pleasant to use than those we used in Denmark the previous year, although visually more appealing. But those Danish showers do not appear particularly aesthetic, I must say!
Nov 28th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

When does Tivoli open? I guess I never even thought about that! I will research the hotels suggested. I am not necessarily looking for the least expensive, just a GREAT location. Willing to pay more.. Does anyone know how the weather will be then?
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM
MNP

The weather at the end of March will for sure be cold!! So bring some warm cloths. While we lived there we had snow sneak up on us all the way through April. Though we didn't see a ton of snow in March that year. It has however been my expirence that the weather changes from year to year. But no matter the weather, Copenhagen is such a lovely and charming city with lots to do and lots to see!!!

One hotel that is located in a great spot is the palace hotel. http://www.palace-hotel.dk/ Though a bit more pricey then what was already reccomended.
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:24 AM

The Palace Hotel is around the corner from the Mermaid, and both are Le Meridien hotels. The Mermaid is supposed to be a 3* hotel, and the Palace Hotel is supposed to be a 4*. The reviews for the standard rooms at the Palace are quite bad, although the reviews for the superior rooms are good. Breakfast is not included at the Palace and is quite expensive. It does have a very convenient position. I suspect kids might like the adjacent Ripley's Believe It or Not. I visited that because I had a Copenhagen pass so it was free to do so, and it was one of the most ridiculous places I've seen. But I could see kids liking it.

Search this Thread