Reload this Page >

Decisions, Decisions!

Search

Decisions, Decisions!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Julie

Decisions, Decisions!

Help! I have created an itinerary for a two week trip to Italy in late September and into October for 4 people in their mid-20s. Thus far, I have included 3 full days in Rome. 4 in Florence. 1 in Venice and 1 1/2 in Cinque Terre. I was thinking of going to Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii, and Capri - but people are telling me to stay longer in the Riviera. <BR><BR>Could someone advise on how many days should be spent in Cinque Terre? (We were spending the night in Vernazza - is that the best place?) If we go to the South, we were only going to be there for two days before going back to Rome to fly home. HELP! I don't know what to do!<BR><BR>Thanks in advance to whom ever responds!<BR>J-

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Capo

Hi Julie. I'd say it depends how many different places you want to see vs. how much time you want to spend in each place, a very common trade-off.<BR><BR>If it's more important to you to see a lot of different places then don't worry about how many days you "should" spend in Cinque Terre, and elsewhere (e.g. personally, I'd say you "should" spend more than one day in Venice but, again, disregard that if you want to cover a lot of ground, as it seems you do.) <BR><BR>The Sorrento peninsula is very beautiful, especially the Amalfi Coast, but so is Cinque Terre. I'd highly recommend Vernazza for your night in Cinque Terre as I think it's by far the most picturesque of the five towns.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Janda

It seems a shame to only spend 1 day in Venice. I would maybe take a day away from Florence. If I was going to the Cinque Terre I wouldnt go down south on this trip. I would spend a few days in the CT. Vernazza is recommended by many people. This is a good mix of time and days I think.<BR>Rome 3-4<BR>Florence 3<BR>Venice 3<BR>Cinque Terre 3-4<BR>I wish you a fun and safe trip.<BR> Janda

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Julie

Thank you both for responding. We've decided to extend our trip to include the southern region of Italy. I really wanted to see Naples, Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii. So we are going to explore for two weeks. (We are also cutting Florence short a day.)<BR>Happy travels!<BR>J-

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:21 AM
Alice Twain

Julie<BR><BR>By spending a few days in Naples and the surrounding area you are not seeing the southern part of Italy. By spendig a couple of weeks in these too touristy areas you are not seeing Italy.<BR>I do not know where you are from, but would you say if someone stated that by spending a couple of days in New Orleans he would have seen the States of the south?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Julie

Alice:<BR>Although your words make sense - I am limited with the amount of vacation time. Therefore, I am making an honest attempt to explore Italy in two weeks. Since this is my first time in Italy, I feel that the trip covers many regions of Italy (many tourist, but the last time I checked I was a "tourist") so that myself and the others on this trip will be able to catch a glimpse at Italian living. I have traveled all across Western and Central Europe, lived there for two years, so I think I know enough about European culture, but I do appreciate your way of thinking. <BR>J-

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:21 AM
mark

Julie - Alice is probably not in her mid-20's (sorry Alice). If I was in my mid 20s I would probably be able to do what your doing - but being 38 I tend to take my time ( but I also live in NYC). As for Italy - I've only been to Rome, for 7 days. In retrospect, I found that a bit too long and wish I had moved on to somewhere else. Don't get me wrong - Rome is great but didn't wow me (except at night). 3 to 4 days sounds just right. Sounds like a great trip - it would probably take me 1 1/2 months and my boss isn't about to give me that much vacation time yet.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:22 AM
xx

Julie - that seems like alot of ground to cover in two weeks. We just spent two weeks in Tuscany and touched on Umbria. Also, you're hitting alot of the high points, but not seeing some of the small hill towns that are the most charming part of Italy IMHO. <BR><BR>You can always go back to see a different region some other time. For instance, we've been to Italy twice and still haven't spent time in Rome or Venice (next trip is going to be Rome-Umbria-Venice).<BR><BR>Have a great time and have fun playing tour guide for your friends. Always great having someone who's been before.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Alice Twain

no, I am not in my mid 20's, but not far from them. I am 31 but never once in my life I have gotten close to understanding the difference between watching a movie and rushing across several cities in two weeks stopping just long enough to see a few glimpses of the main monuments of the city, especially whan climing to be interested in catching "a glimpse at Italian living". Julie, you will see no italian living in speeding across these destinations literally packed solid with foreign tourists, but you will gain a huge experience in dealing with Americans, Aussies, Japanese, Koreans, Germans, British and several more nationalities. If you want to get in tough with the italian living you should seek out other places, places that still retain the itialian living, or your holiday will be like watching "Nuovo cinema Paradiso" on Tv: it may be scenic, even exotic, but that is no Italy! you want to spend time in Liguria (Italy has no area called "Riviera"!), than go ahead, visit Liguria. liguria alone has more than enough to keep you occupied for two full weeks: visit Genova and its caruggi, go to Palmaria islands, go to Camogli, to Lavagna, Recco, Bonassola, Santo Stefano di Magra, Triora; visit the caves at Balzi Rossi and Toirano, climb the mountains, bathe in Cinque terre, taste buridda and cima piena, mushrooms and minestrone, trofie con salsa di noci and focaccia, pandolce and lagaccio; get drunk on Rossese and have a taste of sciacchetr&agrave;. But, please, do not fall prey of the boring, cheap, abused tourist circuit: romafirenzevenezia. We made it a rhyme, as well as we made a joke of the "7 days 7 cities" tours and tourists.