Cinque Terre vs Venice

May 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre vs Venice

My wife and I are going to Italy in June and we are definitely going to go to Rome, Florence and Tuscanny. We are debating between going to Cinque Terre or Venice. I heard from my father-in-law that he appreciated Venice the second time he went, when he was older he enjoyed Venice more. We are in our mid 20's and we just want to see what you all think in regards to this question. Thanks.
May 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Just a side note that I forgot to add. We will be limited to 2-3 days on either destination.
May 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM

They are such totally different places except for the fact they are both packed with tourists, it is impossible to answer your question. Also, very few people posting here are in their 20s.

If you talk more about what you hope to get out your trip to Italy, since it won't be cheap, people can probably give you some advice about how to spend your money and time. How many days will you be in Italy?

Just so you know, Florence is a part of Tuscany.
May 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM

My husband & I are travelling to Italy in September. We start off in Rome, then onto Florence for 4 days and have decided that we will do a full day trip from Florence out to Cinque Terre & a half day trip out to Pisa. Then we will move onto Venice where we will spend two nights Before heading off to Paris. I have alsways thought it best to have a base for a few days than to constantly move around. Just an idea
May 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM

As a poster who is long since out of her 20's, my response to your question depends on a lot of things. We have been to Italy 8 times - to Venice 4 times and CT once. Have you been to Italy before? Do you like outdoors activity such as hiking? Venice is unique and shouldn't be missed. Cinque Terre is scenic and provides for great walks with marvelous vistas. Perhaps I would choose differently than you. We thought CT was beautiful and love to hike but I wouldn't miss Venice for anything.
May 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM
DRJ

I've been to Venice a half dozen times and CT twice. Venice is the most memorable city in Italy, IMO. CT is cute.
May 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM

having been to both, all i can say is, I cant imagine a life without my Venice in it. I have been there 3 times and cant wait to show the "serene one" to DH.

When Dale Chihuly was asked why he chose Venice for his show, he replied " I couldnt find anywhere more beautiful"

If you go to Venice,make sure to get up real early and wander all the canals. It is something you will remember all your life. Nothing short of magical.
May 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Just depends on your interests and preferences. My husband and I are outdoors folks and don't enjoy vacations that are only city visits. We tire of the crowds, the noise, etc. so we always schedule some rural or park time. After an enjoyable tour of museums and architecture in Florence plus day trip to Siena, we trained to CT where we stayed for 2 nights. We did the entire hike, went to Portofino, and enjoyed the more relaxed pace and beautiful vistas for a couple of days. On another trip I went to Rome and Venice with a stop in between in a hill town. I was so glad I did. After the intensity of Rome, the hill town was a nice break, then on to the teeming masses of Venice. I enjoyed Venice as well, but only early morning and the square in the evening. In between we went on the Doge tour, rode the canal if we could get a seat, and rode to the other islands. Between 9am and 6pm in June it felt like a nonstop shoving match along the tiny streets and didn't hold any magic then.
May 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Well. I just thought I'd pop back into say that I moved to Italy and while I could have picked any place in Italy to live, I live not far from le Cinque Terre for its beauty -- but I don't go much to le CInque Terre because of the crowds.

Since I am an artist, I must go to Venice, but I try to do so as little as possible. Like many other people, even if it wasn't for the mass tourism, I find it an uncongenial place and don't enjoy spending time there.

And I doubt this will change the older I get!

I don't think your ages have anything to do with it. Nor do I think it matters that this is your introduction to Italy. I would have appreciated what Venice is at 15, although I still wouldn't have wanted to live there or vacation there.

The only way I see your age matters is that you are likely to live another 60-70 years. If you are curious about le Cinque Terre or Venice, you should try to see them before your knees give out.
May 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM

"Like many other people, even if it wasn't for the mass tourism, I find it an uncongenial place and don't enjoy spending time there.

And I doubt this will change the older I get! "

zeppole, I agree. I was there for the first time at 16 and most recently at 52 - with several times in between. I have never felt the magic that many do when visiting Venice but have certainly found it in other parts of Italy.

CT was also quite a disappointment and I wish I had visited them before it became so over touristed.

When I was young, I loved Rome the most and I still really enjoy it.
May 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM

You might want to post on the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum, rather than here. Thorn Tree attracts a younger crowd. Fodor's is really for those over 40 (although I am in mid-thirties). I have done a similar trip to yours last April and managed to visit both Cinque Terre and Venice. They are so different, it is like choosing between two children, you love them both in a different way. Is there a way for you to get to both? I know people on this board would rip me to shreds, but I think you could do one day in Venice and 2 days in CT, depending on your schedule. I wish I could spend more time in Venice, but it is also very VERY expensive. CT in June should be fabulous, albeit crowded. You are right on the Ligurian sea and may be able to swim and tan on the beach after doing the hike between the villages.
May 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM

My husband and I (in our late 20's) are doing the same trip in a week! We are visiting Rome, Florence, Tuscany (San Gimignano), and Cinque Terre...all in 10 days. When planning our trip we got an OVERWHELMING response recommending Cinque Terre...my husband has been years ago and absolutely loved it. I have never been, so I am no expert, but it is my understanding that Venice is more touristy so Cinque Terre gives a nice relaxing break after being in Rome and Florence. My vote would be CT!
May 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Enjoy CT for it's beauty but be assured it is indeed packed with tourists.
May 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM

I see that you are from San Diego. Having been to Cinque Terre and being very familiar with San Diego, I think Venice would be a more different experience for you. The Cinque Terre is really for hiking. Only Monterosso has a beach. I myself have no desire to see Venice but it might be for you.