Decided on Lucca as a Base, but need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of reading, we have decided to use Lucca as our base city for June 07 trip. Have not yet checked air travel, but would like to fly into Pisa, taxi to Lucca and base there. We do not want to rent a car, but hoping we can use the train or bus to make day trips to Sienna, San Gimignana. Is it possible to take the train to any of the coastal towns for a day trip? Staying 1 week, so would you instead spend last 2 days in another city and fly back from there? We have already been to Florence and Rome.Any suggestions on other destinations-like museums, art, architecture, small local restaurants and shops. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Hi misscarol,

I stayed in Lucca for 12 days this past August. I loved Lucca! I also didn't have a car . I went by train to Cinqueterre for the day ( it took approx 1.5 hrs, needed to change trains at least once but was very easy). Lucca is very close to Viareggio in the coast but I didn't go there. I also visited Pisa which is approx 30-40 mins from Lucca ( I did this by bus).
I decided against doing Sienna and or San G as it seemed to very far/ complicated for a day trip ( around 2.5 hrs on public transportation).

Some of the restaurants I enjoyed were Trattoria Da Leo, Canuleia, Osteria Baralla, Giglio.

Where are you staying?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the trenitalia website [english version] [www.trenitalia.it]. You can get the train from Pisa to Lucca, I think [we're going to florence from Pisa on monday, and I remember that was one of the options]. It's very cheap - E5 or so.
As a hub without a car, it may not be your best choice, but you've still got plenty of time to decide.
Most guide books will tell you where you can get to by bus/train from Lucca.
i agree that Sienna might be difficult from there - why not one week in Lucca and aniother in Siena.
Is there some particular reason why you don't want to rent a car?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Don't forget Pinnochio's 'village' colodi i think, just a few miles uphill from Lucca...and Montecatini Terme, one of Europe's premier thermal health resorts but a pleasure to walk around in its parklike setting to see the ornate thermal establishments. few minutes by train from Lucca. As for the Leaning Tower, take a train from Lucca to the Pisa S Rossore station, the last stop before Pisa Centrale as this small station is a long stone's throw from the tower - Pisa Centrale is a few miles from the tower.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
ira

Hi MissC,

>would you instead spend last 2 days in another city and fly back from there?<

May I suggest flying into Venice for 3 days, train to Lucca, fly home from Pisa?

It's about 4:30 hr from Venice San Lucia to Lucca. See www.trenitalia.com.

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much as I love Lucca, it is not a great base if you wish to explore Siena or San Gimignano. For Siena, you would need to change trains first at Pisa central, and then at Empoli. For San Gimignano, the same route, but get off at Poggibonsi and catch a bus. Both days would involve long journeys.

From Lucca it is easy to reach Pisa, Barga, Viarregio and Florence. Pistoia is another option.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies.
annhig-we don't like to drive and feel we can use the time while traveling by train to relax.
cruiseluv-haven't booked yet, but thinking of La Luna or Villa Romantica-other suggestions? thanks for the restaurant suggestions
ira-thanks for the suggestion
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM

Hi Misscarol,

I stayed at a lovely B&B right in town, La Romea. The included breakfast was delicious.

I remember considering Villa Romantica but it was outside the walls and it would have added some time to my "commute" to my language lessons.