Search

December Location - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December Location - Help Needed

Hello Fodorites,
I have been feeling the need to get away, and the end of December is allowing me to take some time off. I've been looking at my options, and am considering either Slovenia/Croatia [Ljubljana / Bled / Zagreb / Dubrovnik] or Turkey [Istanbul / Ephesus / Troy]. I plan to be gone about 10-11 days [~12/24 - 1/4]. I realize these are radically different locations, but my main question is - what will be weather be like? I don't mind a little rain, and I don't mind a little snow, but combine either one with windy, and that's no good. I've done a couple of searches in the forum, but haven't really come up with any answers... so, has anyone been to either area in the same time frame? Is there one place you would suggest over another? And if neither, where might you want to go to? Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing they are all going to be very cold. I've only seen a tiny bit of Slovenia and love Croatia but have only been there around April/May.

You can check previous weather history on
http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

Kay
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM

People go to Lake Bled to ski at that time of year, so expect snow in Slovenia.

Dubrovnik is quite likely to be rainy, windy and cold - it is well out of tourist season. And many places are likely to be closed in the off season.

Same with Turkey, same sort of climate.

There are some weather websites where you can look at weather in the past months, so google around and see what comes up. Type in something like - weather dubrovnik december 2008 -

Good luck.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, it sounds like I either change location or pack a raincoat and several layers!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We drove to Troy from istanbul and then to Assos in february this year to attend a philosophy conference, and loved it.

end of december temperatures in Istanbul, Troy/Canakkale and Assos area will be between 0 and 12 Centigrade. There is a low possibility of snow in Istanbul but not in the other locations. Rain and mild winds are probable.

It would be a good idea to rent a car in Istanbul, cross marmara by Yenikapi-Bandirma ferry, visit Troy, overnight at Assos, continue south, visit Pergamom, stay at Ayvalik or Foca that night, drive to Selcuk, visit Ephesus and other sites. Leave car at Izmir airport and fly back to Istanbul.

Alternatively you can fly to Izmir,rent car, make Selcuk a base for Ephesus, Aphrodisias, Miletus, Heraklia, Prienne, etc. and fly back. Weather will be 6-15 degrees centigrade and less precipitation than the more northerly areas.