Berlin to Amsterdam

Nov 15th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Berlin to Amsterdam

We will be leaving Berlin Dec. 19th, and we need to make it to Amsterdam by the 27th. We are 27 and 24, and we want to see Germany on our journey to Amsterdam. I am looking for rail/bus suggestions and stops along the way. I looked into renting a car from berlin and dropping it off in Dortmund but it was around 400 US dollars which is too expensive. Neither of us have seen much of Germany. Any suggestions?
Nov 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I'd probably do Dresden, Wuertzburg, the Rhine to Koeln and then off to Amsterdam with maybe Utrecht on the way.
Nov 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM

You can do this by train. Look at www.bahn.de . If you move quickly, you may still get some very cheap promotional train fares.
Nov 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I'm not sure what you mean by taking the Rhine?
Nov 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM

>I'm not sure what you mean by taking the Rhine?

He means the train (or in summer, a ferry) along the Middle Rhine valley
Nov 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Well if going by train and in December driving can always get a little dicey then there is a great deal right now on the German Railpass - $156 p.p. for 4 days of unlimited travel over a one-month period - or about $40/day or about 25 euros a day - totally flexible travel hop any train anytime - would take you to the Dutch border and then about $40 to Amsterdam i would think. You also get a free hop on hop off bus tour in Berlin gratis with this special to commemorate the fall of the Berlin Wall - passes must be bought before i think Nov 20, 2009 but can be used for seven months after purchase at this bargain-basement price. For lots on train travel in Germany i always spotlight these info-laden sites: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com; http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html#german promo. Use the 4 days for long train journeys between key cities like Munich, Heidelberg, etc. Also good to and from Salzburg, Austria.
Nov 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much
Nov 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM

You can do this by train. Look at www.bahn.de . If you move quickly, you may still get some very cheap promotional train fares>

and the current special on railpasses allows for 4 days unlimited travel at about 25 euros a day - you cannot even approach that by the cheapest of the often elusive online discounts IME - the pass currently costs $156 for 4 days of unlimited and fully flexible travel - if going by train and doing 3 or 4 days of trains the pass cannot be beat IMO
Nov 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Palenque, is that a rail pass that also gets you to the Netherlands, or just a German rail pass? I know there are instances where a German rail pass is a great deal.
Nov 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM

No only to the border and then it's perhaps about $30-40 2nd class to Amsterdam.

There is a Germany-Benelux Pass that covers Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg but it is a whole lot more expensive than the Germany on Special pass, which must be purchased by Nov 20 and then can be used for up to seven months later - i note that the OP is going in December and unless they were traveling more around Benelux it would be i think a lot cheaper, due to the Germany Railpass 20% off special, than the Germany-Benelux Pass.

And the only two stations i know of in other countries that a German only pass will take you to are Basel SBB, in Switzerland and Salzburg Hbf in Austria - stations that are just a few miles out side of the German border and which are considered to be German stations for tarification and pass purposes. but definitely not to Amsterdam on a German only pass.
Nov 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM

will actually there is one train line thru Austria that a German pass is valid on - the one that goes from Germany into Austria near Reutte (a few miles from Fussen) and then back into Germany to Garmisch-P - the Austrian portion i believe honors the German railpass or tickets because German trains operate over it from one place in Germany to another German place. But that is the only exception i know of - there could be others.
Nov 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by taking the Rhine?

He means the train (or in summer, a ferry) along the Middle Rhine valley>

Yup like the classic few-hour cruise from Rudesheim/Bingen to Koblenz that goes thru the famous Rhine Gorge with the really famous to Germans Lorelei cliff. Altamiro boats actually now sail all year on this part of The Rhine - though in winter you must make a reservation before boarding to insure the boat runs (i guess due to demand) in summer they run regular hourly or so schedules and you just show up. But there is service year-round now on KD boats at least.