dec trains in spain

Old Oct 20th, 2022, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dec trains in spain

I was able to buy our tickets from Malaga to Madrid for later in Dec but trains from Granada to Cordoba and Sevilla to Malaga are not yet showing on either Omio or Trainline. Any idea why?
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 09:02 AM

It's probably just Renfe being Renfe,
They haven't gotten around to loading the fares.
What are your exact dates?
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 09:31 AM

It may be because Renfe has been so busy (in anticipation of the new competition) loading all the Madrid-Barcelona, Madrid-Sevilla and Madrid-Alicante fares for 2023.
It's the headline on their home page in Spanish. They also state that they've loaded the Madrid-Valencia fares up until Jan. 22.

https://www.renfe.com/es/es/promocio...pra-mas-barato

I just purchased my Madrid-Seville fare for February.

Last edited by Maribel; Oct 20th, 2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Dec 19 Granada to Cordoba
Dec 26 Seville to Malaga

thanks Maribel
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 09:49 AM

No, Renfe hasn't loaded these fares yet for your trains and dates.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

ok thanks. are any of these routes better to do by bus? I'd imagine that would be alot slower...
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 10:03 AM

I would wait until Renfe loads these fares. Just check back often at www.renfe.com.

Sevilla-Málaga Alsa bus---the quickest rides take 2 hr. 30-45 min.
Granada-Córdoba Alsa bus--most rides take 2 hr. 45 min. (there are no non-stop rides)
www.alsa.com
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 02:16 PM

Btw, not directly related to this but, in case anyone is travelling in Dec from Barcelona to Paris or vice-versa, today it has been announced that SNCF will not be renewing the cooperation with RENFE for this route and from Dec11th they will operate separately (as competitors). What this means for travellers it's not yet clear though. SNCF will immediately continue serving this route on its own, but RENFE is waiting for approval from the French authorities to serve this route on its own. When this happens, one will have now TWO companies offering the same route, which, theoretically should provide more options and better prices.

Source: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/snc...r-11-desembre/

For info: SNCF is the French national railway carrier, RENFE is the Spanish counterpart.
Old Oct 20th, 2022, 02:43 PM

And Iryo, the "train child" of Ilsa, a consortium between Trenitalia and Air Nostrum will be competing with Renfe and SNCF’s Ouigo and will start operating on the Madrid-Zaragoza-Barcelona route starting on November 25.
Initially there will be only 6 round trips daily. 2 trains will run non-stop Madrid-Barcelona in 2 hours, 30 min.
Eventually they plan to increase the service to 16 round trips daily.

On December 16, they're scheduled to start the second route, operating on the Madrid-Cuenca-Valenciaroute.
If successful, Irlo will start operating on the Madrid-Sevilla line in 2023.
These trains will be the Frecciarossas and will have 4 classes of service.
They won't pitch the Iryo as a discount line but instead are pitching this to the business clientele, say the press reports.

One can purchase tickets on Trainline (I believe) or on Iryo's own web page here-
https://iryo.eu/en/home

https://www.railtech.com/rolling-sto...s-ticket-sale/
https://www.investinspain.org/en/news/2021/iryo-ilsa

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...d-by-train.htm.

Last edited by Maribel; Oct 20th, 2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 03:09 AM

The French and the Spanish railway markets were liberalised in recent years, but SNCF has managed the concession for a low-cost service in the profitable Barcelona-Madrid line. This is not the case with Renfe, which has denounced the difficulties encountered in trying to set up operations in France on several occasions.
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

these trains still aren't showing and its' less than 2 months. any idea when they will show? thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 11:27 AM

I really don't know. I just check every day, even though it's a PITA. Renfe is sometimes totally unpredictable in its loading of fares for some routes, especially now that they gearing up for the upcoming competition with Iryo on the high-speed AVE routes. They're loading the fares for these AVE routes first.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, when I am on OMIO and Trainline they are not showing these IRYO trains, only renfe and alsa. Why aren't the IRYO trains showing? thanks as always.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 10:50 AM

Hi plambers,
They're not showing because IRYO service hasn't started yet and it will only compete with Renfe on the AVE routes.

IRYO launchs its first route, Madrid-Zaragoza-Barcelona on Nov. 25.
On Dec. 16 they'll kick off their service on the Madrid-Cuenca-Valencia line.
They won't begin service on the Madrid-Córdoba-Sevilla line until March of 2023, if things go according to plan.
But again, it will compete with the AVE, not on other routes.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 01:41 PM

plambers,
The Granada-Còrdoba Dec. 19 tickets have now been loaded on Renfe.com but the Dec. 26 Sevilla-Málaga fares still aren't available.

For those contemplating a high-speed rail trip between Madrid and Barcelona on or after Nov. 25, here's a video of the new IRYO, the Frecciarossa train, that will compete with the AVE and the OUIGO on this route. It's pretty spiffy!

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 03:58 PM

plambers,
The Sevilla-Málaga fares have only been loaded on Renfe until Dec. 10. Keep checking daily.
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 09:53 AM

plambers,
The Sevilla-Málaga fares have now been fully loaded on Renfe.com, which means they should be bookable now on trainline.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 08:30 AM

also trying to buy Spain train tix

Hello, I am also looking for train tickets in Spain - Valencia to Montpellier end of January. They are available on Rail Europe but a long all day trip with 2 transfers. I read that there is a high speed train from Valencia to Barcelona - and then I could get a separate ticket Barcelona to Montpellier - but I am unable to figure out how to get tickets for that train. Nothing available through RENFE at this time. ?And btw, many links have taken me to Rail Ninja which has given me many offers, but upon googling, I see it is very much a scam.)
My question - should I go with Rail Europe or wait for Renfe to give more options?
Also, FYI - last winter I posted on here "next winter will be warmer." We leave Dec 16 for our 10 week trip to southern Europe. First 10 days visiting our daughter who lives in Portugal, then a week in Seville, a month in Valencia, and a month in Montpellier!
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 09:01 AM

Please do not use Rail Ninja. It is indeed a scam.
To purchase Valencia-Barcelona Euromed tickets, use renfe.com. Check daily. The January fares should be loaded "sometime" this month. Right now they've only been loaded up to Dec. 18.

To purchase Barcelona-Montpelier tickets, use www.sncf-connect.com. The trains depart from Barcelona Sants station.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 09:54 AM

Thank you. that is very helpful. So use Spanish system for tickets within Spain and French to get from Spain to France.