Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

6 Days in Southwest Ireland - In and Out of Shannon

Old Nov 30th, 2022, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am planning our quick trip to Ireland in May. I will be pregnant and we will be there for 6 days, just a quick getaway without our oldest before new baby is here. Because of the lack of drinking and time, we are thinking we'd like a more relaxed trip centered around sight seeing, nature, castles, and the countryside. We have never been into exploring big, touristy cities (ie we liked Alagarve coast vs Lisbon in Portugal).

I am thinking 3 days in Limerick to take day trips to Cliffs of Moher and maybe an Aran Island (or should we be doing Doolin?), then 3 days in Killarney or Kilmare (Or should we stay in Dingle) to do Dingle Pennisula, ROK, etc.

What sites and excursions are must--dos for the area? Am I missing out if we don't go to Cork or Galway? Want to be efficient and we don't mind being super active all day, but don't want to be switching hotels every night or doing nothing but driving.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, sounds like a wonderful trip! We were there in May and it was perfect weather.

Are you getting a car? That will change what you can easily do.
Since you are pregnant, you might get tired more quickly and be a little less mobile for some of the hikes and outings, so I would plan a more leisurely approach.

I might recommend to stay in Doolin, for its proximity to the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren and if you decide to do the Aran Islands. We thought Lahinch Beach was lovely to walk.
I think Killarney gets a bad rap for crowds and being too touristy. Maybe, in the peak of the summer, but when we went there it was not crowded at all. We stayed at the Lake Hotel, so beautiful and restful, and just outside all of the top attractions.We also stayed in Dingle which was absolutely charming and what we envisioned as the perfect vacation town. We stayed at Pax House, which again was so lovely and the views and the breakfasts were out of this world! Some people love Kenmare, but we did not go there.

I honestly think you could stay in the Killarney area the whole time and have enough to do. Gap of Dunlop, Torc Falls, Muckross House, Muckross Abbey, Killarney National park, Dunquin pier, Ross Castle and more. If you do decide to go to the Cliffs of Mohrer area, I would give more time to the Killarney area.

I advise against ROK, all day and in the car, not ideal for someone needing a lot of bathroom breaks. I would skip Galway and Cork. And a lot of places seem close by, but on some of these small country roads, all of sudden you have spent 3 hours round trip in the car, not talking about the actual time to visit where you headed.

I think it is great you are flying into Shannon!