Debit Card in Europe

Search

Debit Card in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debit Card in Europe

I bank at a small hometown bank and when I went to withdraw at the ATM read a notice that debit card usage internationally was cancelled. If a customer had plans to travel oversea's to notify the bank. I found it strange. Has anyone read or heard of this happening in they banking systems.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM

no, I've never heard of such a thing nor had it happen to me. Seems kind of odd to give you that message when you use it at a US ATM.

Why didn't you call your bank, that's what I would have done, right away.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM

oh, did you mean it happened when you used it in Europe?

yeah, I've had that happen in Austria -- my card didn't work at every single ATM in Austria even though it worked fine elsewhere. There was some message about how my card wasn't authorized for international use (which wasn't true). It wasn't a message about my usage internally being cancelled, though.

Why didn't you call your bank, if you need to use it. Maybe it was cancelled, in which case the message isn't odd.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I was just there to get some money for the day. I am calling in the morning. It wasn't my call only but the message was for all debit card holders of the bank. I will get back after I hear what the bank has to say.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Hello TravelingMan, I am not sure if you tried to use your debit card while in Europe or while in the US.

But in any case about 4 years ago I received a notice from my stock brokerage company that ALL their debits cards were denied usage in Italy due to a high amount of fraud. I was sure glad I was home and not in Italy.

About 2 or 3 weeks later I received a new debit card with a new account no. and in the letter it stated it could be used in Italy.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM

I always call our credit card companies before going overseas.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Could it possibly be how your account is set up? I had gotten an ATM card on a savings account and my bank told me it would work in Italy. However, it didn't work and I wasted several hours trying to get everything straightened out. It turned out that it had to be designated as a checking account and since then I've had no problems.

I always notify my bank and credit card companies of my travel dates and locations.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM

American debit cards are not known in Europe.

Better take a credit card. You won't have any problems with VISA or MasterCard.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM

I have read a couple newspaper reports recently that several banks now prevent their debit cards from being used for PURCHASES in Europe (or out of the US). That does not apply to use in ATMs though, so far as I read.

I've never used a debit card for purchases anyway. I'd rather put all charges on a credit card, then make one transfer to pay it all off at once (before there is a fee). If you have enough in your bank account to do those purchases with a debit card, why not charge them and then pay them at once with better record keeping and "protection" (easier to question if there is a problem)?

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM

>>American debit cards are not known in Europe.<<

Maybe not known by that name, but Americans do use them regularly in Europe, both for ATM withdrawals and for purchases.

With any type of plastic--ATM only card, credit card, or debit card--it is possible to encounter a problem. That's why it is crazy to travel without several cards of different types.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
traveller1959: &quot;<i>American debit cards are not known in Europe.</i>&quot; Of course they are. Have you not read any of the hundreds (more likely, thousands) of threads about ATM/debit cards in Europe?

TravelingMan61: I'd definitely contact the bank and clarify what the sign meant. If it only means the debit (visa) function, or if it also means using cash machines. But unfortunately - very often, Stateside bank customer service agents don't have/know the correct information.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM

We pretty much used our Visa/BOA debit card for everything when traveling in Europe. Car rentals, hotels, food, you name it. I have never had it turned down. This includes Germany, Italy, England, Ireland, Iceland.

dave

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
lyb

&gt;&gt;&gt;American debit cards are not known in Europe.&lt;&lt;

I guess somebody forgot to tell the merchants in France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, UK, etc... 'cause I sure used mine a lot.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM

When I travel to Europe, I take a VISA credit card (for accommodation etc), and a VISA debit card to get euros from ATMs. Seems to have worked well enough during the past decade, but the cards are Australian-based, not American. I always notify my bank of the time that I will be overseas.