Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > de Gaulle-Lyon-Beaune or de Gaulle-Gare de Lyon-Dijon-Beaune trains?

de Gaulle-Lyon-Beaune or de Gaulle-Gare de Lyon-Dijon-Beaune trains?

Mar 13th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

de Gaulle-Lyon-Beaune or de Gaulle-Gare de Lyon-Dijon-Beaune trains?

We think we're closer to firming up our French trip this summer. We'd land at deGaulle for sure but I understand that to get to Beaune from Dijon, we'd have to travel from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon and then on to Dijon before transfering to Beaune. It would take a bit longer and cost a bit more, I think, to travel from de Gaulle directly to Lyon, essentially bypassing Paris and rail station to rail station transfer there, rather than the du Nord Gare de Lyon-Dijon excercise.

Opinions?
Mar 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM

I am not sure where Gare du Nord might fit into your travel itinerary but I recommend for reasons of cost and en route time:

1. Take the AF bus from CDG to Gare de Lyon - 16€ and about 45 minutes en route

2. Gare de Lyon to Beaune via Dijon - travel time between 2 and 3 hours, cost about 30€
Mar 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
ira

Hi Mo,

You can take the train from CDG directly to Dijon for 22E, 2 hr.
Dijon to Beaune costs 7E, takes 0:20 hr
You start from Roissy (95)

The cheap train from Roissy to Beaune via Lyon is 61E, takes 4 hr.

See www.voyages-sncf.com.

Mar 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

"...You start from Roissy (95)..." I have no idea what or where Roissy is. I thought to travel completely by train from CDG, I'd have to take the train to Gare du Nord, transfer there to travel to Gare de Lyon, and travel from there on yet another train to Dijon, and transfer there to the Beaune train...or take the AF bus from CDG to Gare de Lyon to get the train to Dijon, etc.

I'm hoping to keep this travel limited to trains where possible and wih as few transfers as necessary.
Mar 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Roissy is the name you enter as departure (CDG is in Roissy)
As Ira wrote, you can take a direct TGV from CDG to Dijon but the only one is at 19h41 (arr 21h39) and then take a train to Beaune. Not very convenient if your flight lands in the morning...
Mar 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

cocofromdijon,

Your information is very helpful. We expect to arrive at CDG in the early afternoon. We will be flying from Seattle to Heathrow and should arrive there sometime in the morning with the CDG flight from there. (I think there are many Heathrow//CDG flights).

The 19h41 departure from CDG would be quite inconvenient, so we'll be looking for the best alternatives. We'd favor fewer transfers over some time-saving.
Mar 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
ira

Hi mo,

> we'll be looking for the best alternatives. We'd favor fewer transfers over some time-saving.<

In that case, I suggest that you follow the advice of Sarastro on Mar 13, 09 at 09:27 PM

You take the bus from CDG to Gare de Lyon and then the train to Beaune. You don't change trains in Dijon.

If you go via Lyon, you still have to change - plus it takes longer and costs more.

Mar 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM

>You don't change trains in Dijon.< I'm not sure about that Ira since most of them are TGV between Paris and Dijon and then you take a TER (even if it is 2 TER they don't have the same number). Dijon station is not big anyway (platform A to J)

I found a direct TGV from Paris to Beaune at 16h58 arr 19h03 (on the 19th of March)for 40€.
Mohun what day are you traveling?
Mar 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Did this very easily with suggestions from this forum.

Got the Air France bus(you need not have flown on them to use)just outside the doors at CDG....arrived at Gare Lyon, short wait for train to Dijon. We did pick up our car there to drive the short, easy 1/2 hour to Beaune.

I am sure there is a train to get from Dijon to Beaune if you are not getting a car. Pick up for car was right next to the Dijon station. I feel you need a car to tour Burgundy.
This did not take very long and was inexpensive by purchasing the discounted tickets online in advance.

Are you staying in Beaune for long or going on? If you are interested there is a fabulous, inexpensive 2 bed., 1.5 bath apartment rental in Beaune...wife is Canadian living in Burgundy. Everything first class in the place. Have a great trip.
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Upon arriving at Gare de Lyon, and before boarding the train to Dijon, are there places you can store luggage and perhaps then go find a place to eat? Or will you need to keep luggage at hand? In which case it might be smarter to eat at CDG or is dining available at GdLyon? We'll be doing this later this year and while I've been through the train station before, I recall nothing about food options.
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
ira

Hi Coco,

>Mar 14, 09 at 01:25 PM<
Thank you for the correction.

I seem to have caught the one train that goes direct to Beaune

It would seem that the OP's easiest route would be CDG (Roissy) to Lyon to Beaune.

Mar 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM

The Air France Bus to Gare de Lyon worked great for me (it's so convenient). Short wait for the TGV to Dijon (I think the train went on to Beaune, but I'm not sure about that). I stayed in Dijon two nights, then took a train to Beaune, where I stayed a couple of days before picking up my rental car to tour Burgundy. Anyway, you definitely don't need to go to Gare du Nord first. I LOVED Burgundy!
Mar 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM

There are some places to eat at Gare Lyon but not sure about storing the luggage. We just opted for coffee and pastry and kept the bags which were few with us. There is a very lovely restaurant, in english...the blue train at Gare Lyon. Do look inside even if not eating there...a time warp.

Search this Thread