Search

Daytrips from Turin

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytrips from Turin

Hi,

I'll spend 4 nights in Turin at the beginning of September and I'd like to know what places, in your opinion, I should consider for a daytrip.

Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Milan, for the Duomo and Last Supper if nothing else.

Stresa and Lake Maggiore are close by as well - just off Stresa are the famous three Borromean islands, each with a pleasant surprise on it - palaces, gardens and an old fishing village. And Stresa is cute in its lakeside promenade. Direct trains i believe if no car.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM

You might not want to leave Torino. It's an absolutely wonderful city. Seeing the Alps all around you may give you an itch to rent a car and drive in the countryside. If you are intersted in food and wine, you might want to head south for some of the most famous gourmet destinations in the world.

It's true Milan is 90 minutes away by train (Stresa is another hour) but by the time you factor in getting to the station on time and train delays, that's not much time actually sightseeing. I'd stick to Piemonte.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,

I've already seen the Last Supper and the Duomo in Milan. I was wondering a bit more like towns. Stresa and the Borromean Islands on Lake Maggiore sound a good option.

Anybody else?
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Milan is a bit much for a day trip from Turin, besides IMO Turin has more to offer as a city and as you said you have seen the Doumo and last supper.Also I think Stresa and Maggiore although well worth a trip are also a bit far, it will take about 2 hours in driving and no easy train connection. Val d'Aosta is quite spectacular, Aosta is a charming little city nestled in the Alps, again it will be a long days trip (90 minutes each way) although there is a train. If you drive visit the Fontina cheese centre outside of Aosta and make a drive up one of the mountain valleys.

I myself would reccomend a trip to the Sacra di San Michele, heading towards Val di Susa, just outside of Turin. Its an old fortress type abbey perched on a cliff top overlooking Turin and the main pass. Its a spectacular building, you need to park and walk about 15 minutes to the entrance, then up the "stairway of the dead" and through the Zodiac gateway into the abbey proper. Its closed for around 2 hours at noon for mass. Lots of resturants around the lake in nearby Avigliano.

Also don't miss the Superga mausoleum on the river bend overlooking Turin. You can drive or take a funicular. On a clear day, wonderful views of Turin and the Alps (and you can see the Sacra on the other side of Turin). Turin is loaded with things to do, museums and galleries, and old palaces, don't miss the Cinema museum in the Mole Antoneliana.

And also maybe a trip to the wine country. Piedmont is famous for its red wines, the wine areas are centred around Asti and Alba and quite spread out, for a day trip you need a car, I would drive to Barolo (A21 to Asti Ovest, SS231 to Alba, bypass Alba and head to Barolo)as its the most famous and quite compact, you can do a nice days tour around the Barolo valley, don't miss La Morra and the castle enoteca's at Barolo and Grinzano Cavour.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys,

I checked the trenitalia website and there aren't direct train connections between Turin and Stresa.

I think La Sacra di San Michele and La Basilica di Superga would make a great daytrip.

I'll stay in Turin for 4 nights and, even though Turin does seem like a place where there's a lot to do, I wanted to have a plan B just in case.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
DAX

Lake Orta & Its island or enjoy the view from Sacro Monte with its 14 lifesize stations of the cross. Great restaurant near one of them.

Stressa old town maze, hop on the ferry to the 3 Borromean island. Villa Taranto with its relaxing beautiful Italian garden near Pallanza. Lots of small town stops in lake Maggiore.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM

We spent 5 nights in Torino last October. We took day a day trip to Alba which was well worth it.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:39 PM
DAX

Did you have some of the white truffles in Alba or was it too early?
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I second the recommendation by Sampaguita to go to the Sacra San Michele - fabulous! A stunning setting with the Alps behind.
The countryside all around Torino is lovely - both the well-beaten paths of Lago Maggiore and the more southern Alba region, and the northern part west and north towards France.
Buon viaggio!
Ellen
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,

I really would've liked to go to Lake Orta, but it's a long train ride from Turin.

I have to decide between La Sacra di San Michele and La Basilica di Superga.

Asti, Alba and Bra are another good option, but I have to find out more information about them to make a decision.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Hi,
There is also the Stupinigi, the Royal Hunting Palace of the Savoy. It was originally out in the countryside but now it is very close to Torino (maybe now even in the city limits?)
Truly beautiful amazing architecture. The architect had a genius for visual stunners - the way a hall looks from the entrance when the door first opens, optical illusions painted on the chapel ceiling, and so forth.
Guided tours are required.
Napoleon lived here for a while, then took all the furniture and art treasures with him when he left.
But the palace itself is stunning.
It was recently redone and restored.
Not as far as Asti, etc.
Cheers,
Ellen
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Sacra di San Michele is a half-days trip, its only 10 minutes from the tangenziale to Avigliano, but about 1/2 hour to drive past the lake and around the hill. The abbey is closed from 12.30 to 2.30 for mass, so either go early morning or after lunch (lots of restuarants around Avigliano).

Superga can be reached by rack-rail up the hill from the east bank of the Po, its just outside of town, not really an excursion but an extention of Turin, you could do it in a few hours, even at night or in the evening to catch the sunset.

Asti or Alba can be done in one day, Asti is 30 minutes by car from Turin, Alba another 30 minutes away, make it a days trip, or better yet head to the Barolo valley (about 1.5 hours from Turin via new Asti-Alba double lane highway and spend a classic wine day around Barolo, La Morra, Grinzano Cavour etc.
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Yes, we had PLENTY of white truffles. We actually went truffle hunting at Casa de Trifolau outside of Alba. Check out their website. The two brothers who own the land and lead you on a truffle hunt were very interesting and the experience was great.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM

I don't want to sound crass, but actually its "La Casa del Trifulau" and its just outside of Costigliole near to Asti, not Alba. Beginning September is still somewhat early for white truffles, espcially the way this year's weather is shaping up (hot and dry), but the excursion is a real treat.