Daytrip suggestions from Prague

Feb 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Daytrip suggestions from Prague

We are going to be in Prague for about 4 days and wanted to take a day trip or two. Any suggestions on where we might go?
Feb 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Hello - just found another posting that provided some answers to my question. Any other thoughts are welcome. thx. Kuaana
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Lev

Another posting... Some answers...
Other thoughts... in addition to some answers?
Not clear on what you want. I would suggest you to open another posting and just follow the advice given in some answers.
Feb 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM

Here's an excerpt from my waaaaay to long trip report:

We somehow survived the drive out of Prague and headed for the Bone Church in Kutna Hora. What a strange, strange place. Hundreds of years ago some soil was brought back from Golgotha in Jerusalem and spread over the cemetery. Soon it became the place to be buried in central Europe. Tens of thousands of people were buried in this rather small cemetery. There was no space for all of them, so they would dig up the old bones to make room for the new. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the ruling Duke gave the order to have the ossuary (bone storage area) decked out with the bones they had stored up. A local carpenter with waaay to much time on his hands did the decorating. There are four colossal stacks of bones along with wall sconces, chandeliers, a coat of arms and more - all out of real human bones. I am so glad that we visited during the day. It was creepy enough in full daylight. A visit after dark by candle light would have been seriously shiver inducing. We spent about half an hour there and a little extra time exploring the cemetery itself. I wouldnít say itís an absolute ďmust seeĒ but we all enjoyed it and Iím glad we went. You can find the ossuary at www.kostnice.cz

About half a block away from the ossuary was a little hotel with a restaurant where we had one of the best meals of our entire trip. The service wasnít the friendliest but the food more than made up for it. If you decide to go to the Bone Church be sure to have lunch there. Itís not 4 star Parisian cuisine but it was delicious. It isnít hard to locate. There is a little restaurant directly across from the ossuary, thatís not it. As you leave the ossuary itself take a left and go out the south entrance. On your left hand side, just a stoneís throw away is the hotel/restaurant. Itís called Hotel U Ruze. You can find them on the web at www.ruzehotel.cz The food was so yummy!

Cheers, the turnip
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Lev

We took 4 day trip from Prague. 3 by bus (Ceski Krumlov, Karlovy Vary and Terezin) and one by train to Karlstejn Castle. Read Rick Steves travel book.
It contains all info you need on the day trips from Prague.
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM

cesky budejovice--cesky krumlov
Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM

This is a question for Lev:
I will be going to Prague for the third time in May. On previous visits I didn't to to Terezin, but I am thinking of doing so this time. I'd appreciate your reactions and impressions. Also, you've indicated that you took a bus. Was that on a tour or by yourself? From the Prague websites I've consulted, it appears that one of the tours would be easier and not that much more expensive since they include admission. What is your recommendation?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Lev

Hi oldbutonthego,
I would strongly recommend you to take a tour to Terezin out of Prague. We took a bus in anticipation that we can either join a tour in Terezin or just follow a map. Yes, they gave us a map at the Terezin Concentration Camp, but the map is not very clear and we wasted a lot of time trying to figure out the direction. Also there is another concentration camp for prisoners of war that you shouldn't miss and this camp is about 30 min walking distance from the Terezin. Our bus on the way back to Prague was very crowded.
Anyway, you'll be better off if you take an organized tour out of Prague.
Lev.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Dresden is also an easy day trip. But, you may find that you have plenty enough in Prague to see that fills up 4 days.