Daytrip from Rome?

Mar 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Daytrip from Rome?

My sister and I are going to Rome for 9 nights in May. We have time for one (overnight) daytrip, but I can't decide where to go. I'm thinking either Florence, or Naples+Pompeii. Where do you think we should go? Also, if there are any other un-missable daytrips I should be considering, let me know!

On a side note -- is there anywhere online where you can book train tickets?

We MIGHT be able to take two daytrips, but I can imagine that would be pretty butt-busting!
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM

I'm glad that you are planning to give yourselves an overnight stay. It makes it much easier.

Me, I would go to Florence. I like Renaissance art and architecture.

I dislike Naples and Pompeii, but I am absolutely sure you will get the totally opinion from at least one person.

It really depends on what you like and want to do.

There are many pleasant trips you can take from Rome. For me, Assisi would be high on the list. But I love St Francis.

Many people here like Orvieto. Me? meh...

The big question is really about you and your sister. What do you love? What are your dreams for this trip? What would you most like to see?

It just occurred to me that a nice trip might be done by dividing your time just a little. Maybe train to Naples, then Pompeii and staying in Sorrento for two nights.

Or 5 nights in Rome and 4 in Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi area.

Or 6 nights in Rome and 3 in Assisi/Spello/Perugia

Or 5 nights in Rome and 4 in Florence/Siena/San Gimignano.

The possibilities are endless.

You can book train tickets online at Trenitalia.com, which is a pain in the neck (although a search on this forum will teach you some tricks for that site) or once you get to Italy, or even by calling or writing to an agnecy in Italy.
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I googled some of the places you mentioned, and they look beautiful! Thanks for giving me something else to consider! I never really thought about splitting up the trip like that (now I'm glad we haven't booked any hotels!)
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli are worth a daytrip, as is Antica Ostia. Herculaneum is incredibly interesting, too. I do have to say I like Pompeii but then I love being immersed in ancient history. Naples isn't my favourite place, either.

Although Florence is gorgeous it is not my preference. I would rather spend less time in cities (I love Rome but it is busy and chaotic) and more on the coast (i.e. Cinque Terre) or Tuscany/Umbria hilltowns. A mix of both is nice.
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM

naughhope

I forgot to mention that a week in Rome exhausts me. I always say this, but I've seen things in Rome that I really didn't need to see. I love Rome, but sometimes, enough of it is quite enough.
Mar 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM

An overnight in Renaissance Florence is just what you need to break up a nine night stay in historical Rome. Leaving Rome early in the morning, stay overnight and come back the next evening will give you two full days to see the major sites in Florence and shop at the same time. The Euro Star train takes an hour and 20 minutes to and from Rome and gets you there in comfort. Naples and Pompeii are just a little too busy for you to rest up from the hectic pace that you might be setting in Rome. However, either way you can't miss...Have a great trip...
Mar 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM

If you have not been to Italy before, I would definitely break the trip into two parts, spending time in two areas: either Rome-Florence (with day trip to Siena from Florence), or Rome-Amalfi Coast. It really depends on whether you are more interested in Masterpieces of the Renaissance, Art & Architecture, and walking the streets where people like Michelangelo walked (Florence) in a medieval setting (Siena) or beautiful, cliff-hanging villages in a gorgeous natural setting (the stunning Amalfi Coast).

I might even consider Rome-Venice if Venice has been on your dream list of places to see, but it is further and would take more time out of your trip just traveling. Probably better to save it for another time. I would consider one day trip from Rome, depending on your interests, though there is plenty to do in Rome.

It is easy to just buy point to point train tickets when you arrive in Italy.

Here is the thing with your trip. May is a lovely time of year. Italy is beautiful, amazing really. You absolutely can not go wrong whatever you choose. It will be an awesome experience and you will go back.
Mar 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM

If you have never been to Florence then that would be a great place to visit. It is small and so much to see. It is an easy train ride from Rome.
Mar 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM

ttt
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM

I'd choose the Amalfi coast...mostly because you will be doing so many city things, that getting a different view may be enjoyable. Florence, however, is easier to get to and less travel stress.
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I'm sorry to see so many people telling you to split up your trip. Roma is more relaxing the longer you stay there. If you think two day trips would be "butt-busting," then you will do best to take your time to see Roma. Some people think that if you go to Italy you "must" run around and see famous things because they did. But people miss a huge amount when they do this. They claim they don't -- but how do they know?

I suggest you research some possible day trips -- the towns plus how to get there -- and then decide WHEN YOU ARE IN ROME -- what you feel like doing, based on the weather and how much you are enjoying being in Roma.

Some easy, non-butt-busting day trips are:

Instead of Pompeii, visit Ostia Antica -- extremely rewarding.

Florence -- best for people who like church and museum visits.

Orvieto -- to get a glimpse of the Italian countryside, a great Italian hilltown, and one of the most fantastic cathedral faces in the world.

Tivoli -- for garden and lovers of classical Italy

By the way, some people posting here seem not to know that Rome is also a Renaissance city, and that Michaelangelo walked around Rome (and there is more of his work to be seen in Rome than in Florence).
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM

I'm trying and failing to ignore that.
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Mar 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM

I think staying in Rome is also an option. I went 2 years ago with my parents and we stayed in Rome the whole week and did a side trip to Ostia Antica. I thought Ostia was just as beautiful as Pompei - different, because it was left out in the elements as opposed to Pompei which was buried - but far easier than trying to run to Pompei for a day.

I would suggest EITHER dividing your time between two places, or staying in Rome with a day trip or two closeby.
Mar 31st, 2009, 07:44 AM

I would definitely take an overnight trip on a 9-day visit to Rome. Rome does not get easier for me as the time goes by; on the contrary, it exhausts me. Too much noise, chaos, traffic, etc. I'd personally head north to Umbria to a spa town for a day or so, or south to Sperlonga or Gaeta or Anzio or thereabouts for a beach stay. I'd also probably fit in a half-day at Ostia Antica during your stay.
Mar 31st, 2009, 09:32 AM

Hi Naughope,

I'm sorry what I thought I was saying wasn't as clear as perhaps I thought it was. Just want to clarify what I thought I was saying.

I did not mean to confuse you or to imply that Florence (rather than Rome) was the only place to see Renaissance Art & Architecture, etc., and that you wouldn't be seeing it in Rome. Michelangelo was just an example. In Rome, Of course, you have so much great Renaissance work, including the Sistine Chapel, ST. Peter's, etc. just to name two of the hundreds, plus all the ancient archeological sites.

However, you are already going to Rome, so I knew you would be seeing great Renaissance works there, plus exploring all the ancient archeological sites.

I was not comparing Florence with Rome, though they are very different. You might note that Rome is huge and busy while Florence is small, but also busy. I've walked all over Rome, but sometimes, just have to take a bus or taxi. The area of Florence containing the Academia, the Duomo, the Baptistery, Ponte Vecchio, Pitti Palace, etc. is really, really small in comparison with Rome, and easily walked. Outside of Rome, you also have the possibility of interesting day trips to Ostia Antica, Orvieto, etc. Outside of Florence, you have the possibility of day trips to Siena, San G. etc.

What I was trying to do (awkwardly, I see,) was give a comparison between two possible choices, if you want to split your time between Rome and another place: Florence (a city known for Art & Architecture) versus the Amalfi Coast (an area known for great natural beauty and charming towns and villages). They are so very different.

After seeing all the Renaissance work in Rome, do you want more museums & Architecture, so something completely different?

If you are nuts about Art & Architecture, just can't get enough in Rome, and want to see Siena, then Florence might be right for you. If you have enough of it in Rome (and you can certainly get your fill there, if you choose), and appreciate stunning landscapes and would enjoy walking in charming, beautiful places like Capri & Positano, then the AC might be right for you.

You are getting so much good advice, along with each of our biases. I love both places, as well as most of the places mentioned by ops, so won't say which I would choose, but still say, whichever way you go, will be wonderful.
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass - I hope you didn't think I was the one giving you, well.. SASS about Rome! lol! I can see how 9 nights in a big city could get exhausting!

Well... we've decided to do the overnight in Florence after all. As someone said, that would give us two full days in the beautiful city! We also decided to go to Ostia Antica, so many thanks to the people who suggested it--we'd never heard about it before! It looks like Pompeii, only more fascinating and minus the volcano. We MIGHT go to Tivoli on the last day, but that might be slightly too ambitious.

I'll be back later to post my entire itinerary and get opinions. Thanks a lot everyone!!