1st time to Italy (ROME).. help!

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time to Italy (ROME).. help!

We are planning a trip to Rome next month. I need help to decide whether to stay 5 nights in Rome and take a one day trip to Florence and another one day trip to Naples OR spend 3 nights in Rome and 2 nights in Naples. IF I pick the latter - what's the best method of transportation from Rome to Naples?
Also- where should we stay - any suggestions as to hotels? How easy is it to get around on the metro?
Any general pointers? Can we get one day trips from the hotels we stay at or is it a better deal/rate to book in advance.
Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:52 AM

If it's your first trip to Italy, and you only have 5 nights, I think you should stay in Rome, maybe take a day trip or 2 to Pompeii, Orvieto or even Florence. There's is tons to do in Rome, you can easily keep busy there for 5 days.

What is your hotel budget? Are you looking for a room for 2? You should stick to the historic center (near Pantheon, Plz Navona, Trevi, Spanish Steps). From there you can walk to many sites or use public transportation. I would book the hotel in advance.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Many day trips you can do on your own by taking a bus or train. There are many knowledgable people here that can direct you to the best route.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM
ira

Hi 1st,

You'llhave to give us some more info.

I would do 3 nights in Naples and 2 in Rome,

I would skip Rome entirely and go to Florence and Venice,

Neither of these plans might be right for you.

Why do you want to go to Naples?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to see Rome b/c of it's richness in history, culture and fashion. Naples -- because I heard Capri is a must see and Pompeii - well b/c of the ancient ruins. I heard Florence is a one day trip. I would love to go to Venice- but the budget won't allow it. We are trying to do a nice trip without going overboard.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:17 AM

With 5 days, I would do 3 in Rome, and 2 in a smaller town such as Sienna or on the Amalfi. Rome is fabulous, but very intense, you may want a more serene spot for a few days, especially when the Italian countryside is so beautiful. We were in Rome for 3 days, and never used the metro, which is quite limited. We did use the buses, but got hopelessly lost trying to get to Trestavere one rainy night. Rome is exciting, confusing, beautiful, intense and funky - enjoy it for what it is, and you'll have a great time.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:31 AM
yk

Hi there-

I would suggest staying in Rome for the entire time and go to Pompeii +/- Naples on a day trip. Capri is really too far for a day trip from Rome, save it for your next trip!

Rome is a walking city. If you stay anywhere in the historic center, you will be able to walk to most sights. The Vatican is a short metro or bus ride.