Day/Weekend Trips from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any suggestions for daytrips/weekend trips from London (just within Great Britain; I'm doing the continent on somewhat longer excursions). Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are several hundred threads on here answering that exact question. So instead of us re-inventing the wheel, tell us something about what sorts of things you want to see/do - and When you will be there.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, guess I should have been more specific; I just got back from a trip to Portsmouth, and realized how much I would like to see other places outside London. I'm studying abroad in London until late May/early June, so the timeframe is next weekend until then. I suppose I'm primarily a history buff, particularly military history, but anything interesting would be great. Not really at all interested in shopping, nor really in just relaxing places (I can do that back in the states). Also, I don't have access to a car, so places easily accessible by rail or coach are pretty much all I can do. Already have a trip planned to Edinburgh, and am looking at some other places, really just looking for ideas (not trying to start a huge list like some of the other threads that you mentioned; I've been going through them, looking for some ideas, just seeing if anyone had any more input, perhaps in a slightly less overwhelming size than the hundreds of places in those hundreds of threads). Thanks again.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That's MUCH better Now we know what you're interested in and needing to use public transport.

One place I'm sure you would love is Dover. The castle is worth a FULL day. Roman, medieval, Tudor, Georgian, Victorian and WWII military bits -- including the fascinating WWII tunnels and hospital.

York of course is a possibility - the amazing Castle museum and the railway museum. Another good FULL day but a better overnight.

Anywhere in Wales - more castles per sq foot than even in Scotland.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Battle - 1066 and all that.

Winchester - first capital of England, Alfred the Great, cathedral
Oxford- Blenheim Palace

Cambridge - Duxford War Museum, American Cemetery

Bristol = SS Great Britain

Ely - Oliver Cromwell

Rochester - Castle, cathedral, Chatham Historic Dockyard

Presume you've already done Windsor, Greenwich, Hampton Court
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Haven't done Windsor or Hampton Court yet, but will; did Greenwich, although I'll be back, since it's both close, and some of the stuff (particularly the observatory) was closed when I was there.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:26 PM

Hi - I second York. Loads of detailed info about this lovely city on here. Also easily done in a day trip if time is short (although best to stay a night). My husband commutes (for work) from York to London at least 1 day a week. Get one of the quick GNER trains and it will take you less than 2 hours from Kings Cross. Catch an early train and have breakfast on your way up - the food on the GNER trains has improved so much recently and is now very good. York Station is minutes from the town so you can be off that train and exploring straight away. The Railway Museum is 5 mins walk (mainly pedestrianised) from the station and is free to get in. Huge place and great even if you 'don't like trains'. www.nrm.org.uk
York is a compact city so you could see a lot in a short time. There's plenty to see so plan your day carefully before you go and download a decent street map. The local Tourist board site is useful when planning a trip here.
www.york-tourism.co.uk
M
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

York definitely looks very interesting, and spending a night or two will be fine. And I do like trains, so all the better (not quite as fascinated by them as when I was a little kid, but still).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:29 AM

With a weekend you can cover virtually all of the UK - get the sleeper train to Fort William on a Friday night, take the train to Mallaig on Saturday morning, cross onto Skye, spend the night there, get back to the mainland via the Lyle of Lochalsh and head for Inverness before taking the sleeper back to London.

Or have a weekend in Edinburgh, or the Lake District or...

As for abroad, well the sky is your limit - you could even do a weekend break to New York or visit Cairo

Oh no-one has mentioned the obvious - Salisbury / Stonehenge / Avebury / Bath which is doable either as 1 weekend or 2 daytrips
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

janisj: just wanted to thank you for the Dover suggestion; just got back, and it was very interesting (and the cliffs quite beautiful, luckily the weather cooperated). Thanks again!