Day Trips from London

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from London

I am going to spend a week in London the first week in March and am trying to finalize my travel plans. I am going with my sister and we are staying with a relative in Southall which is near Heathrow(so not central London). We want to spend four days outside of London and just do daytrips to save on accomidations. We have been to Bath and are wondering other good places to go.

We are planning on a day in Oxford and going out to Blenheim Palace for one day.

Are there suggestions for the other three?

Some ideas we have are Hever Castle, Canterbury, Dover. We will be traveling by train only.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM

My sister and I are going together to London in just a few weeks (for a week).
We plan on doing day trips as well. We are planning on going to Canterbury, Dover and then perhaps see Leeds Castle too. Also, we have heard that Chester is very neat place to visit also. Neat shopping, and cathedral, and "The Rows"
(two-tiered streets). We plan on going to York and up to Edinburgh and then back to London by way of Chester. It will be a busy visit but we are excited. We bought a britrail pass on the Rick Steves site. It was on sale!)
I hope you have fun too!
By the way, I had my heart set on seeing Hever castle but it is closed in February! (That is Ann Boleyns childhood home). Too bad.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:22 AM

Some close-in day trips that we enjoy are Hampton Court Palace and Greenwich.

My kids and I travelled to Hever Castle by train, and although we had a great time, it does take some arranging. As best I remember, the train station is not within walking distance of the castle. There is a small taxi stand nearby, but we had to wait a bit for a car to take us to the castle. The car company will make arrangements to come back for you at a pre-set time.
Enjoy!
Annette
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Hi
Just check the re-opening schedule for Blenheim as it is closed to visitors in the winter.

Kew Gardens might not seem like a logical choice in winter, but they have many enclosed greenhouses. In February they are having an orchid show, don't know if it extends to March.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:23 AM
AR

Chester is one of the most overlooked cities in England and whilst it is a fair distance from London, could be done as a day trip by train.
I'm intrigued as to why you should want to visit Dover as if you only have a week in the UK then Dover would hardly be on the list of top priorities.
Salisbury and Stonehenge are easy travelling from Southhall as is places such as St Albans, Warwick, Stratford and Worcester.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM

You'll be staying fairly near Windsor, so I would suggest you include that as a possibility. The village and the castle are very appealing, one of my favorite spots in England. Good luck.