Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kenilworth for the day or head back to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 05:31 AM
jin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in London soon, (staying in Kensington), and going to Oxford for one day and Kenilworth for the next day, (staying at the Macdonald De Montfort Hotel) for my husband’s work commitments. While he is working in Kenilworth during the second day, his hosts have suggested that they could take me around visiting the sights of the area. I initially felt that I must rush back to London while he is working, to try and see as much of the London sights that I need to visit, (galleries, museums, book stores – that’s my thing), but having done some research I see that there is Kenilworth Castle near by and it sounds like a sweet town with possibly interesting shops to explore…?

My question for the Fodors experts is: do you think my limited time would be better spent heading back to London to seize the day for London exploration, or does Kenilworth hold as interesting possibilities? As you can imagine, I want to make each day count, and was hoping for some input as to what others think is more essential for the limited time that we will be there. Cadbury’s World, for example, sounds fun, but Nat’l Portrait Gallery would be preferable. Was just wondering if I would be missing out on amazing things to see while I am in the area? Thank you so much for any views and opinions!
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:59 AM

England is dominated by London and its periphery to a degree unparallelled in any other major country. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that, with a couple of exceptions, most sights outside the south-east are second rate.

And most of what's round Birmingham is several levels below that (though in my view, Warwick parish church beats St Paul's and Westminster Abbey rolled into one. Just steer clear of that dreadful Disneyland they've installed in Warwick Castle)

On a straightforward "how many stars in a guidebook" a day in Kenilworth can't even make the same planet as a day in London.

But that's not the comparison here.

The NPG (or even the Bramah Tea Museum) will be around just as long as you are. You don't "need" to visit anything.

What you're being offered that day is the opportunity to see some pleasant sights in the company of people who live among them. And that's not something you can replicate by getting on a plane in a year or two.

Would I choose yet another day in New York City over a day being shown round minor parts of upstate New York by a local? It's a choice I've often had to make. I've chosen the minor-league sightseeing trip every time and never regretted it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Sorry, but memorable sights pointed out in memorable ways by memorable people are NEVER "second rate" IMO.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No contest - stay up near Kenilworth for the day. Going back and forth to London doesn't give you much time to see more than a site or two. And an extra few hours in London won't even scratch the surface.

But in/near Kenilworth - Kenilworth Castle, Warwick Castle, Sulgrave Manor, Stratford, the northern Cotswolds, Hidcote Manor, Kifsgate Court, a hundred lovely villages, and much more. Of course you won't see a fraction of those sites - but definitely let your hosts take you to some of the places they enjoy.

A no brainer IMHO
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Jin, I absolutely agree with your other posters - spend the day around Kenilworth. As well as the excellent choices janisj has suggested, there are some great little villages in the area - or even Coventry, which has an amazing Cathedral and motor museum. It might even have a book store?
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Hi Jin,

I grew up in Kenilworth, so I'm biased, but yes - take your hosts up on their offer to show you around. Kenilworth itself is a pleasant small town, the castle is well worth seeing, and the surrounding countryside is lovely. Enjoy!

Tania
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Ani

I may be biased b/c I know a lot of Kenilworth's history AND I'm a fan of the countryside as opposed to London. That said, I absolutely agree with the above replies.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
jin
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond! Yes, good point, CotswoldScouser - the major sights of London will still be there, and who knows when we'll be in this particular part of the country again...

Thank you again everyone - it's really helpful hearing all your suggestions.