Day trips from Montepulciano

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Montepulciano

Hi there,
My fiance and I are going to honeymoon in Italy next September (2004). Neither of us have been before and I am trying to come up with an itinerary that it both relaxing and lets us see some of the sights and experience life there. We are staying in Montepulciano at a beautiful hotel , Villa Cicolina, for the first seven nights. My question is what are some good day trips from there, we will have a car. Florence and Siena are on our list. Also, one of our main interests while we are there is cooking( we have an apartment) so we would like to know when the outdoor markets are in the surrounding area.
Thanks for all your help. We are also going to Rome for four or five nights, but I have not begun to do any planning there yet. I'll save those questions for later. Thanks !
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:50 AM

They are many and varied. You will want the TCI map with a 200k to 1 scale.
Here is a start:
1. Siena all day
2. Val d' Orcia [Montalcino & abbeys]
3. Cortona & Assisi
4. Volterra & San Gimignano
5. The Chianti loop
6. Florence[ consider training from Chiusi rather than driving]

Go to slowtrav.com for more tips and info. Your experience will in direct relation to your homework. Have fun !
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:24 AM
dln

Athyng, check out this website, too. It's www.initaly.com. Click on "things to do" and you'll find the info you need about market days. Another good source to get you started is simply typing Montepulciano in the text search box. Lots of posts about it, as you will soon see!

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:31 AM

If you are into wines, you may want to think about touring some of the many wineries in this area. You will be in the heart of the Tuscan wine region. My husband and I stayed in Montepulciano last summer for several days, and loved it. It is one of the most beautiful "hill towns" in that region. In addition to the "vino nobile" wine that is produced by the Montepulciano wineries (Avignonesi is a great one to visit), you will be close to Montalcino, known for the "brunello" wine, another great Italian wine. We visited Altesino in Montalcino and also enjoyed that tour. Pienza is close as well and another nice town to explore. We had a delicious lunch there in one of the many outdoor restaurants. The wine tours are very informative and interesting, and there is a visitor center right in Montepulciano that can provide you with information about the area. If you decide to visit some wineries, you do have to arrange for a tour in advance. We called when we arrived in the area, and were able to book tours without any problem. Also, unlike Napa/Sonoma here in the US, there is no charge by the winery for a tour. You can buy wine at the wineries, but there was no pressure to do so! As far as your question on food, I don't recall that there were any outdoor markets in Montepulciano, but there was a "supermercato" (Conad?) right outside the entrance to the old town. There were also several smaller groceries in the old town that sold pasta, pesto, olive oil, etc. and I recall that they might have also sold produce. Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:17 AM

WE got back a few weeks ago from a week in an apt in Montepulciano.

Market day is Thursday in Montepuylciano and Friday in Pienza( a few miles aweay.

Although there is a market just outside the historic area...the best place for stocking an apartment is one of the Co-ops that you pass on the way to town.

I would add to the Bob's list, a reccomendation to visit Orvieto.

In Montepulciano, visit the workshops at the top of the hill...see woodworking and an old world craftsman making copper cookware.