Tuscan/Umbrian Vineyard Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I (and two very young children) will be spending nearly two weeks in Souhern Tuscany. We are stationed just outside of Pienza. We enjoy wine very much, but are both far from experts. We enjoy buying products from the source as opposed to markets having little to do with the individuals producing the item.

That said, we are relying on you fine folks for vineyard recommendations. Specifically, we are lookin for places that will allow visitors/tastings/tours.

As as an aside, are their any pecorino fairies that we should visit as well?

Thabk you!
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Bump. Really? Nothing?
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 06:46 AM

Your Pienza location is a good one although there are few wineries in the immediate area. To the east is Montepulciano and the Vino Noblie wines of Poliziano, Avignonesi--both have visitor tours and tastings. There are also tasting rooms and opportunities within the city's cellars as well. To the west is Montalcino and the Brunellos which are scattered all around the hilltop town. There are enotecas in the town and a very good one in the Fortezza--kids will enjoy the visit. There are many, many local wineries which welcome visitors---try researching the consorziobrunellodimontalcino-- it has them all listed with info about visiting.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:05 AM
mjs

We stayed near Pienza in May. Several good cheese shops in Pienza. Wine shops in Pienza, Montalacino and Montepuliciano have Coravin set ups for tasting.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:55 AM

>>> vineyard recommendations. Specifically, we are lookin for places that will allow visitors/tastings/tours.

You will have more options if you split this into two different parts.
1. Vineyard visit
2. Visitors, tastings, tours

Larger towns have several in town tasting rooms as well as underground aging barrels you can visit and take tours. These are always open and you can usually just walk in and expect to have some kind of sufficiently English tours, if this important, of some kind.

Vineyards are different matter.
To be able to visit vineyards and be able to do tasting and tours, several things need to line up.
1. A reservation.
2. At hours and days they can accommodate you
3. With English speaking person, if this is needed
4. At a time they are not crazy busy, like harvest time.
5. At a place producing kinds of wine you are looking for.
6. That has an arrangement with a shipment company with access to proper license to send bottles home if you do not want to carry back the bottles with you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 11:04 AM

We had a wonderful tour and wine paired lunch at Avignonesi, which is not too far from Montelpulciano. But I don't think the lunch would be appropriate for children as it was quite long. The tour was interesting (again, not sure for kids). It is a beautiful area.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best! Thank you.

macanimals - that is great recommendation, I will definitely check out that site.

mjs - that seems like an uber convenient way to try some delicious wine and cheese

greg - that is a lot to think about it. I am guessing with two children, that could be difficult. When we were in San Gimignano last year we were lucky enough to visit a farm that served food using ingredients sourced from their property and wine that was produced there as well. The wine was not that great, but the experience was wonderful. I guess this is more of the type of thing we are looking for. While my wife and I would love a more intimate tour, its probably a tall task with those things to think about on top of having two young children with us.

Thank you again.