Day Trips from Lucerne

Old May 8th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Lucerne

Hi All! So I had originally posted that my husband and I were looking for other areas in Switzerland to visit other than the Lake Lucerne area because we visited last summer. Change of Plans! The price was right and the best deal was to fly to Zurich and stay in Lucerne and Weggis the first week of August.

We are actually very excited as we fell in love with Lucerne. We did not have a chance to enjoy the towns around the lake so that is why we decided to spend a few nights in Weggis first and then head to the Art Deco Montana for the remaining nights.

We are planning to take some time cruising on the lake and strolling the streets in areas we were not able to explore. I would love some ideas and/or input on any day trips from Lucerne or Weggis that we should look into. What are some of your favorite things to do and see in these areas?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Zug! Beautiful lakeside, and be sure to eat a piece of the famous Sugar Kirschtorte!
Nice old town area of twisted lanes.
You can take a bus up to their local mountain.
Have you done any of the myriad hikes on Rigi? Do investigate some of the lesser-known lifts/stops and explore!
Arth-Goldau's Tierpark (zoo) in a natural avalanche setting is nice for a couple of hours.
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:20 PM

That should not be 'sugar' but 'Zuger'!! (As in cherry liquer)
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:35 PM

Oh, another fave is Rapperswil, at the south end of Lake Zurich-you can take the boat one way and train back. Rose gardens, Capuchin Monastery with vineyards, deer park and parish church with very interesting graveyards above town square. 'Castle' with small Polish
museum within. Great views from this area above. Restaurant Medici or any of the small marina cafes.

Have you ever taken the tram in Zurich up to their local mountain Uetliberg. Grat walking network just 15 minutes above the city!
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:18 PM

It seems that your thread has gotten buried, so I'll bring it back up with more suggestions!
Did you get to Meiringen on your last trip? Aareschlucht gorge, Reichenbach Falls (for Sherlock Holmes fans). Home of meringue desserts.
Or for a nice city, consider Basel.
Great cathedral, market,old town area. Take a tethered boat across the river for a new perspective. Plenty of cafes, shopping and museums!
All of these trips that I suggested are under 90 minutes one way, by train
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mokka for all your suggestions. I will look into and research more for sure. On our last trip we visited Lucerne (our base), Wengen (our base), Grindelwald to do the First, Lauterbrunnen, We stayed at the Villa Honegg which was a great time to relax. We did a lot of hiking......We went up to Rigi, Strolled around and rented a small boat on lake brienz, went up to Jungfrau,

I know we plan to enjoy the smaller towns around lake Lucerne when we are staying in Weggis. We also will stroll the streets again of the city in Lucerne because there still are areas we missed out on.

It would be nice to visit a town or city that we havent been to. Basel is on our list of possibilities. What about Bern? We loved riding on the train. Any train trips that you would recommend?
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:13 PM

I LOVED Bern, though a lot of posters dis it (in favor of solely mountains).
I based myself there for seven nights a few years ago, and reveled in exploring the nooks and crannies off the main thoroughfare in the evenings.
There are so many scenic spots from and below the bridge over the River Aar at the southern tip of town (near the bear park and rose gardens).
Many nice eateries and eclectic shops, most arcaded, thus..a good rainy day trip.
Paul Klee art museum too
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Great! So that is also a possibility....will have to check out some other areas you recommend. Researching is fun and i have appreciated your input
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Have a great trip and I hope you discover a new gem of a town!