day trips from London

Search

day trips from London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips from London

Hi. I am joining DH in London while he is there for business - WE will be there a week - 2 days are for business so I will do some walking tours.
I have been there several times so I have been to the most of the "big" destinations. I am looking for one or two day trips to a little village in the country perhaps...will not have a car - train travel.....

Any suggestions - with in 4 hours or less???

Thanks!!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM

It all depends on what you'd like to see. I love Cambridge for the beauty of the architecture, the history, the pedestrian streets, the Fitzwilliam, the American cemetery at Madingley.
I love Brighton for the extravagance of the Pavillion and the charm of the seaside.
Portsmouth is great for naval history; Dover for WWII buffs. If you've yet to check out Chester, the Roman walls make a great walking tour. Coventry with its wonderful cathedral and Godiva conncections is another great day out. All of these are easily reached by train.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM

You might want to see where the London Walks "explorer days" are headed on the dates you'll be there.

We once took one to the Cotswolds, and having been on several "coach" tours in the past I didn't hold out much hope for the day. However it was the only option we had.

It turned out to be terrific - we took the train partway and then were met by a little van. We were able to see LOTS more than we would have in a giant coach - full stops and walk in 2 towns, lots of anecdotes, time for a pub lunch, etc.

Sometimes it's nice to have a guide rather than going entirely on one's own - you do learn quite a bit.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Great information from both of you.

We are considering Portsmouth. I enjoy so much, I am open to any and all ideas....Chester is also on the short list.

Taggie - do you have a web site for London Walks explorer days?

Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
yk

http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Stoneh...t/default.aspx
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM

yk has given the link... just remember that the schedule changes according to the seasons. I'm not sure when you are going...
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:55 AM

I'm guessing you have already done Hampton Court Palace? It is just south of London, but IMO it takes most of a day to explore, particularly in the spring when the gorgeous gardens are in bloom.

York is a 2hr trip. You can go see Ministry, and explore the city a bit on foot.

I've also done both Oxford and Bath in a day trip...easily done.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I have not done Hampton Court Palace - that is on the list!

I have been to York and nearby areas many times and love it but want to try something else.

DH asked me this am to see if there is a town near Hadrians Wall to stay and explore the wall and old structures,etc... any ideas??
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Hadrian's Wall is easily accessible from a number of nearby towns - I'd suggest Haltwhistle, which is on the Newcastle-Carlisle railway line as well as the AD122 bus that follows the line of the Wall, and is a relatively large town with restaurants and B&Bs. However, there are smaller villages along the route with B&Bs and some hotel-restaurants.

However, this would easily take a couple of nights away, or more - it's not a day trip from London.

I have a trip report on the central (more dramatic) bit of the Wall at
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1057

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM

If you can spend the night, I second Haltwhistle. Easy bus or short taxi ride to parts of the Wall and Roman fort museum. If you plan on staying I strongly suggest the Ashcroft Guest House. If you do stay be sure to book early as they are very busy. I liked the town and easy train connection.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:47 AM

If you don't want to go too far afield , how about some of the National Trust properties close to London. They are all lovely. Ham House, Clandon Park, Osterley house are all close in. Clandon also has a regimental museum that might interest your husband. Have you been to Eltham Palace on the outskirts?

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...submit2=Submit

An inexpensive way to see them as a US citizen is to join the Royal Oak Society , which will give you free entrance. If you visit more than 3 or 4 it will pay for itself and is tax deductible
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I booked the Ashcroft!! Thanks for the suggestion!! We will stay there for 2 days.

WE leave in a couple of weeks.

I still need to find another destination for a day trip, any more suggestions out there!!!

Thanks!