Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ll have four full days in Florence (in March)—not including travel days. If the weather cooperates I want to do a trip to Cinque Terre. I’d also definitely like to visit San Gimignano, and maybe Pisa.

Should I do organized day tours? Or would it be easy to go by train and explore on our own? On some of the Viator tour reviews a recurring complaint was not having enough time in San Gimignano. Also, the tours seem to all include wine and olive oil tasting—which I have no interest in.

Do I just accept that with my limited time (and no ability to speak the language) that it would be better to settle for just a glimpse of San Gimignano—than to deal with the stress of doing it on our own? Have others done these trips easily on their own?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 05:47 AM

The places you mentioned are so well visited by tourists, so anyone connected to the tourist business speak English.

All three destinations are trivial day trips. What is the stress you are referring to?

Cinque Terre: It is about 3 hrs by train one way at 15-20EU each. Look at schedule at www.trenitalia.com. BUT, Cinque Terre is a summer destination.

San Gimignano is connected to Florence by frequent buses.

Pisa is connected to Florence by very frequent trains.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 05:57 AM

Pisa and San Gimi are easy - although I can;t give train details since we had a car.

CT is not really a day trip - takes too long and you would have little time there. And March is not a great time for trail hiking along a cliff - which is what CT is about.

If you have only 4 days in Florence IMHO 3 days trips gives you not much time to see things there.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With only four days in Florence, one day trip is enough and Siena, which I recommend over Pisa, and San Gimi are more than enough. Explore Florence which has so much to offer.
There are tours available although I have always rented a car .
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM

Totally agree with above post. Pisa?? Meh, a crooked tower surrounded by flea market type vendor area. Siena is fabulous and a worthy day trip and the drive there from Florence will take you through the heart of Tuscany.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are organized bus tours and private tours by car from Florence to San Gim and Siena. You don't get lots of time in either place, but you also don't have to figure out the logistics of seeing both in one day.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence...519-24283GROUP

http://www.caftours.com/private-excu...andscapes.html

It's possible to see both Lucca and Pisa in a single day trip by train. Use Italian spellings for place names when you search train timetables:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 09:47 AM

We took a bus tour day trip from Florence to Pisa, San G, and Siena. We knew it would be a long day, but what we didn't know was how far away buses have to park from the town centers and how much walking we would have to do before we could even start to see the sites.

Before deciding to take a tour, do check to see how far away from the sites you will be when you get off the bus. We spent way too much time walking and not enough time seeing what we had come for. You may also want to check to see where cars can park and if there is public transportation to the centers.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:32 AM

You might also want to consider going to one of the Tuscan towns first and spending the night there, then into Florence the next day. Personally, I prefer doing that over day trips because then you can spend more time in the town, have dinner, and see the town in the evening after the daytrippers have gone away. I would also suggest Siena over San Gim or Pisa.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Hill towns are just that. Smallish town on the top of a hill and mostly pedestrian only. cars or buses have to stay in the outskirts and there is typically a fairly long walk from the parking area to the center of the town that you would want to see. Check to see if local buses or trains get you closer to the center - to to easy access.

IMHO do not do a bus tour that tries to get to 3 cities in one day - you will see very little and spend a lot of time just getting to and fro,
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM

I agree with the suggestion above to not overdo the day trips when there is so much in Florence to enjoy. An easy excursion to do on your own would be to take the train to Pisa and then to Lucca all in the same day. Thn spend the rest of your time enjoying Florence.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:48 AM

*Then
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM

I agree. CT is not a good idea for a day-trip from Florence. We went to San G on our own, and it was fun. But, frankly, I would have preferred to spend more time walking around Florence.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM
kja

How much time you have for day trips really depends on your interests. For example, I found five very full days in Florence itself insufficient for my interests in art.

As others have said, going to the Cinque Terre as a day trip from Florence doesn't really make sense at any time of year, let alone in March.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your responses! I don’t know if I’ll ever return to this part of Italy so was hoping to get a taste of the area—not only Florence. A friend told me that San Gimignano was the highlight of his entire trip to Italy—so I’m wanting to include that. The private tour to Siena and San G looked perfect -- until I saw the 658 Euro price!

I’d had my heart set on CT but got talked out of it because of the possibility of bad weather and impassable trails. I was hoping that I might get lucky with the weather and book it as a day trip last minute. But it sounds like it’s just too far.

I typically explore on my own, but there is something to be said for leaving the driving to a pro, and having a guide deliver you from one place to the next. But it sounds like it might be better to just do a day trip on my own to San G. Has anyone done day tours that you recommend?

Re: language issues, I had no trouble in Rome (which I LOVED!). But in Civitavecchia I couldn’t find anyone who spoke a word of English (or was willing to speak it with me). I was so lost I almost missed my cruise as I trudged the cobblestone streets in 95-degree heat, dragging suitcases.

I like art, but I’m not a huge art lover. Two major museums in four-1/2 days will be enough for me. What other sights do you recommend in Florence?

PS. I’ve already got my hotel booked and pre-paid, so overnights in other places aren’t going to happen.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Well, at least half of your remaining time should be spent eating. And the other half just roaming the streets and piazzas of Florence.

But don't miss the view from Piazzele Michalangelo. It is a longish uphill walk or a short bus ride from the city center. You also might enjoy an afternoon visit to Fiesole, which is perhaps a 20 minute bus ride away. Kind of like a day trip without the time and effort. I hope the Accademia is one of the museums you plan to visit. Seeing David is a must, and it's a quick visit-- maybe an hour. Plan for the Uffizzi to take much longer. Of course visit the duomo (climb the campanile if you're up to it), but there are a zillion other great churches too. Lots of great shopping. Then more walking and eating! Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 12:27 PM

You can get to San Gim easily enough on your own if you can't find a reasonable tour service. Your hotel in Florence should be able to help you with the bus schedule. You'll want to leave early enough in the morning so that you can get some sights in before noon, when some churches, etc. may close for a few hours. It's really quite a small town. I visited the torture museum when I was there. It was very . . . interesting. Glad I didn't live in those times.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Bookmark
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 05:17 AM

I would like to suggest a wonderful private driver and guide that many on this board have used and loved : Luca Garrapa of www.hillsandroads.com.

He does private tours for a good price but also does small group tours of maybe up to 6 or 8 people which are even less expensive. There are many tours that fit your requirements and the places you want to see. I suggest you check his site and decide for yourself.

In any case, enjoy your trip!!
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Songdoc:
If you decide to spend most of your time in Florence, I can suggest a very easy half-day trip by local bus. Leaves Piazza San Marco frequently, goes up the hill to Fiesole (about 20 minutes or less)...you can visit the extensive Roman ruins just off the center of town (Fiesole is small)..have lunch at any one of the three or four restaurants on "Main Street"....back by early afternoon to continue "doing Florence".. the views of Florence below from the trip back down the hill are very scenic, with the Duomo as the center-piece.(Do yo have lodgings in Florence yet?) Happy travels.

Stu
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Here's a second vote for Luca as a guide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -