Day trips from EDinburgh

Search

Day trips from EDinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from EDinburgh

We will be in EDinburgh for 5 days during the festival (2adults, 1 14 yearold boy) I would really appreciate suggested itinaries for day trips out of the city. So you recomend renting a car? WE are there to watch our 17 year old perform in the fringe festival but the events are mostly in the late evening so any suggestions would be great. thanks
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I have, over the years, compiled two documents of trips, one by car and one by train.

Email me and I'll send them on. they're all on here somewhere but scattered about a bit.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM

WE extend our congratulations.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 03:36 PM
MHS

We were in Edinburgh for 5 days in May without a car. Wanting to see something of the area outside Edinburgh, opted for a tour with Rabbie's Train Burners. www.rabbies.com
(If you search on rabbies, my query re vrs. tour companys might come up. Consensis was that both were equally good.) We chose Rabbies because it is a small van & it certainly goes over narrow roads! Driver/guide was very knowledgable, willing to share that knowledge, and a safe, good driver. Do note that you have only 5 min leaway on departure times. We did the Lock Loman & Stirling Castle trip. Note: Stirling Castle has been heavly "restored" but the garden is lovely.

While in Edinburgh, do go out to see the Royal Yacht Britannia. It's very well presented, easy to get to (we did the on-off bus with a stop first at the Botanical Gardens), & if you wish you can get a relatively inexpensive lunch at the dock mall -- proper name for it escapes me -- sitting on deck looking over harbor.

Enjoy Edinburgh - it's a great city. & Congrats to your 17-year-old.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 03:40 PM
MHS

After thought -- we booked the tour at the visitors center when we arrived by train from York & were glad we did. By Friday there were no seats left on the tour. Their office is on left hand side, standing with back to Castle, of Royal Mile but it's on 2nd floor so look for their sidewalk board-sign.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Congratulations on your son being included in the festival. He must be very talented! Have a great trip. Have you considered stopping in Paris on the way?
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM

We took a bus tour to the Trossachs which was very interesting.