Day Trips from Bavaria

May 18th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Lisa

Day Trips from Bavaria

We are staying in a hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirschen in Bavaria for approx. 8 days in August. I am in the very beginning stages of planning day trips. Any suggestions or sample itineraries? What are the 'don't miss' sights? Really looking forward to it!

May 21st, 2001, 05:11 AM
Ben

Hi Lisa - since you haven't gotten any responses to your question - drop me an email note and I will be glad to work with you in planning some day trips out of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Ben
http://www.bensbauernhof.com/

May 21st, 2001, 08:45 AM
Maira

Lisa--- if you enjoy hiking, you will be in "Hiker's Heaven". The Bavarian Alps are quite spectacular, and I'll bet, quite popular in August. G/P is a nice town with great restaurants, too. You don't mention your means of transportation, let me just mention that although German transportation system and efficiency is quite good, there is the unavoidable factor of mountain geography which limits the routes and frequency. IMHO, this is one of those regions in Germany where the road is probably a better choice than the rail.

I particularly enjoyed going up the Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany. The price is a bit high, but there are quite some views as you go up on the tramrail.

Around G/P, we enjoyed day trips to Obberammergau (great Christmas shopping, the town is a fairy-tale town), Ettal (spectacular Benedictine monastery; lunch at the restaurant across is great, beer is supplied by the monks, great pewter jewerly), Linderhoff Castle (I enjoyed it even more than Neuschwantein), Berchtesgaden (spectacular views), even to Innsbruck and Salzburg across the border in Austria. This should fill your days pretty good; HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

May 21st, 2001, 09:16 AM
Doug

Lisa - Be sure to take Ben's advice and check-out his truly fantastic website. But you can't go wrong even if you just jump in a car and drive aimlessly. There are so many cool things in the area you are visiting. Go North to touristy Oberammergau for some beautiful carved wood statues and pipes. On the way you'll go thriugh the charming little town of Ettal. Visit the monastery. Pick up some of the local booze - great souvenoir. Head south to Mittenwald where some of the best violins in the world are mad. Continue on a short ways to Innsbruck. Heading west you can shortcut through Austria to the Royal Castles outside Fussen. On your way back, another road will take you to a third castle of King Ludwig"s - Linderhof. The great thing is that if you get lost, there are just so many interesting, unique things along the road - cows, sheep, religious statues and altars, odd-looking farm equipment, WWII ruins, crystal clear alpine lakes, out-of-the-way restaurants and guest houses, lederhosen and dirndl clad locals and gorgeous overlooks. Even the recycling areas are interesting when you see how many different things are reused. They have special bins for clear glass, brown glass and green glass. The garbage trucks are a marvel of modern mechanics. Mercedes trash trucks with a really unique way of lifting your garbage can and then crushing the trash. While in Partenkirchen, be sure to eat at the restaurant across the street from the Hotel Altes Post on Ludwigstrasse. I don't remember the name, but the locals know it. They serve good food and usually offer entertainment (free). It's been ten years since I've been there, but if his liver has held up, the proprieter is a real trip. He brings shots of schnaps to the locals tables on a big long wooden board that has grooves to hold each shot glass. After dispensing the drinks, he always downs the last one himself. By the end of the night, he's become the entertainment.

May 22nd, 2001, 11:04 AM
Topper

Bring 'er up!!

May 25th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Lily

Hi Lisa,

I agree that Ben's sight is the BEST! We are going to the same area in June and I'm soooo excited! With the help of Ben and his gang along with Wes Fowler,Rex and lots of others on this board we have lots of ideas and a rental car waiting for us when we arrive!!! Have fun and e-mail me directly after July 5th for more info.

Lily

Jul 1st, 2001, 03:28 PM
John

Hi Lisa:

Just to help Doug with his memory the Gasthaus he is refering to is the "Frauendorfer". I always make time for a night in the Frauendorfer! It is a very fun night. Also has a very nice rooms to let! Have Fun
JOHN

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:30 PM
Doug

Thanks John. You're absolutely right. I found the website for the Fraundorfer after you reminded me. Great place.

Search this Thread