Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

has anyone seen the article on budget europe in conde nast recent issue?

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:31 PM
amy

hello all,
in the recent issue of conde nast traveler they list 10 or 12 places (2 of which are florence and rome. it details where to stay and eat for a budget price. unfortunately i cannot find much info on the hotel they listed in rome...residenza farnese. nice article with good info on how 2 people can visit for a little over $200/day including everything. if you have read the article or know anything about this hotel, please reply. thanks!

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:53 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

As usual, I was disappointed in their article. They set the criteria at less than $300/day for food and lodging, and then the article is all about the food cravings of Dyansky. Those folks do not have a clue how to do value travel in Europe. The entire publication is a catalog for up-scale and overpriced products. I am sorry to be so wishy washy about this. I travel on $200/day and we eat well. Perhaps they should call me.

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Judy

I think I have the article you're talking about ("30 Hotels under $200" in the 2/2001 issue). However, the only Rome hotels that I see are Casa Howard (casahoward.com) and Santa Chiara (santachiara.com). Sorry I can't help you any more.

Jun 13th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Emily

I realize this is the Fodor site but I find great budget information in the Frommer daily e-newsletter, at their website and in their Budget Travel magazine.

Jun 13th, 2001, 05:03 AM
amy

Hey Bob-
Maybe I should call you! Any insights on true finds for the ultimate bargain traveler? My ears are always open. Amy

Jun 13th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Kavey

I used to subsribe to that magazine (asked for it for a christmas present one year) and didnt bother to renew...

Even the "budget" articles, which were far and few between, were way outisde of any price range I would consider to be budget.

The normal featured hotels and resorts were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY outside even my splurge budget, and the whole feel of the magazine was very patronsising, see and be seen, exclusivist and snotty....

Not impressed...

I am sad that a fairly new travel magazine in the UK, Escape Routes, recently folded, as I had not long ago subscribed as I liked it so much. The holidays and advice featured were 99% in my interests and budget... a real shame...

Jun 13th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Sherry

Hi Amy. I found a websight, www.inroma.it and through that the phone number of the Residenza Farnese.
It is listed under B&B. Unfortunately I could not find an English listing. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Anyway : Residenza Farnese, Via del Masherone,59. Tel.06.68.89.13.88, Fax,06.68.21.09.80. It sounded lovely to me too. Good luck.

Jun 13th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Dianne

I used to subscribe to Conde Nast (1999 I think), but they have gone completely ridiculous with the amount of ads. It was so frustrating just trying to look up page numbers, so I didn't renew.

I now subscribe to International Travel News. It's largely written for travelers, by travelers with no glossy pictures and few ads. It's kind of like the stuff you read on this board.

I found out about here on Fodor's a couple of years ago, so thought I'd return the favor for those who don't know about it. You can get a free copy sent, no strings attached, from their website.
www.intltravelnews.com
Oh, and I don't work for them or anything, but I wish I did!

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:20 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

If you want value travel---I prefer that term to " budget travel"--then the best source is Frommers Budget Travel".
I take 4 travel publications and am consistently disappointed in Conde Nast.
The other good one is The National Geographic Traveler. IMHO, $150 per day is budget travel---$200/day is the optimum value for me.

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:34 AM
justtrying

I don't know to whom many of the travel magazines are really trying to appeal. If you have the money to spend a gazillion (technical term) dollars per night, then you probably aren't doing much of your own travel planning, anyway (i.e. a travel agent or business agent is taking care of the details). My only conclusion is some of those over-the-top mags are for people who never really travel and want to daydream/fantasize about what it would be like, instead of actually doing it. Just a thought. By the way, what does "conde nast" mean, if anything?

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:23 AM
elvira

I was a subscriber for many years to Conde Nast Traveler (ignored hotel recos, but read the travelogues for new ideas) until I decided to go to Naxos. I culled 5 years worth of issues, found two articles in issues years apart - and it was the SAME ARTICLE, SLIGHTLY REWRITTEN. I never bought the magazine after that....cheesy journalism in a very expensive magazine is a real turnoff.

Budget is such a hard word to define with numbers; my idea of budget will probably differ greatly from someone else's - what I might consider extravagance, others might consider necessity, and vice versa. With that being said, $300 for a double room can't be anybody's idea of "budget"...

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Susan

When I have to translate that $200 USD into Canadian, it comes out to more than $300 CAD. That's definitely not a bargain or budget travel in my books.

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Joe

"Ditto" comments on Conde Nast. Waste of time. Also, "ditto" comments by Bob on Frommer's Budget Travel Series. Have used them to good advantage for years. Always one of the guides I review (if they have done the Country) when planning a trip. Have a philosophy about good two and three star hotels getting you closer to the people of the Country you are visiting. This is one of our travel criteria and Frommer's Budget Travel has been a big help in that regard.

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:29 AM
Tammy

Amy, I'm trying to find some info on this hotel also. Their website it http://mysite.ciaoweb.it/rfarnese/.

Jul 1st, 2001, 01:20 PM
Capo

At first, I had to chuckle when I saw the phrase "budget europe" along with "conde nast" in the thread title.

But then, on the other hand, I realized that everyone's idea of a "budget" is different. And I'm sure that for a lot of upscale readers of Conde Nast Traveler, less than $300/day for food and lodging *would* be budget travel.

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:56 PM
Mel

After subscribing to Conde Nast for years, I'm letting my subscription run out because I'm a charter subscriber to Frommer's Budget Travel and that is SO much more practical for my budget. At one time Conde Nast was "the only game in town." and I kept it up for old times sake, I guess. Evaluatign things carefully, the only thing I realize I'll miss about Conde Nast is the Ombudsman column. I WON'T, however, miss wishing I could afford the hut over the water in Rangoon for only $2,500 a day, etc. etc.!