Day trips from Amsterdam

Search

Day trips from Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Amsterdam

Hi, I'll be spending four days in Amsterdam in August and was wondering about suggestions for the best day trips from the city?
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Spend a day in Delft.

It's a jewel of a photogenic town, and you can see how Delftware is made by touring the ceramics factory.

http://www.delftsepauw.com/openinghours.html
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Lots of good options. If you are a WWII buff, you might want to go to Arnhem, which was one of the cities that the Allies paratrooped into during Operation Market Garden and encountered strong German resistence. This happenned 60 years ago come September. It is also a charming city in its own right. I also enjoyed Delft, Edam/Volendam, Antwerp, and Maastricht. Harleem is only a short train ride away and is a great place to spend half a day.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Airlawgirl

If you'll do a search of the threads on this topic, most everyone comes up with...Delft. It is a lovely, laid-back medieval city-great canal restaurants, Delft ceramics are of course made here- and on the week-end you can go to their flea markets where you can pick up antique Delft pieces for bargain prices. Delft is, without question, my favorite city in Holland, and many Dutch have told me that it is their favorite go-to place on the week-ends as well!

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM

If it's a hot day, especially a Saturday or Sunday, take the train over to Zandvoort. The beaches will be full of Dutch and German people at ease, and the water is usually very mild at that time of year.

Do searches for plenty of other threads on this forum about Haarlem, The Hague, Antwerp, Brugge, etc., etc.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:41 AM

Maybe an obvious tip but maybe not:
Don't over-plan; go with the weather. If you have a beautiful day, do outside things: have coffee or a Belgian beer on a terrace and people-watch, go to the Waterlooplein flea market, head for Zandvoort or Volendam, head further afield to the Veluwe National Park and the Kroeller-Mueller Museum Sculpture Garden, etc. Save the Rijksmuseum, the Anne Frank house and the Van Gogh Museum for a rainy day!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

We're heading over tomorrow. I have been there before. Utrecht and Haarlem are both excellent day trips. Utrecht is lovely, and has a wonderful museum of mechanical musical instruments (Speelklok tot Pierement museum). Haarlem is charming and has the beautiful Grote Kerk on the main market square, and you can sit inside and listen to the organ. IMO, I always found Delft over-run with tour buses. But if you go, Thursday is their market day. In preparation for our trip, I have been emailing a nice Dutch gentleman I "met" on the BootsNAll website. He recommended Leiden, the venice of the north--charming town with windmills, canals, and you can rent bikes at the station and ride to the beach, or rent boats nearby and paddle around the canals. The NL RR lets you buy a one-day round-trip ticket from Amsterdam that will let you visit Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, and every other town on the line back to Amsterdam, getting off and on as often as you like. A good deal. Have fun. --Leslie