amsterdam question

Mar 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

amsterdam question

with 3 1/2 days in Amsterdam, what is your opinion about spending one day talking a tour to the outskirts? If so, where? Tour or train? Thanks for any opinions.
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:11 PM

I have friends who live in Holland, you must take time out to see this wonderful country, blighted by the dump that is Amsterdam.
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Hardly the outskirts, but a day trip to Delft might be fun - you can see some of the countryside from the train and enjoy a very pleasant old city, in some ways a smaller, cozier version of A'dam, but with its own proud past.
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM
dcespedes

I agree with Gardyloo--we took a day trip to Delft and loved it--and the countryside is beautiful. Enjoy!

Mar 16th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Took a train trip to Zutphen. An old town that still has part of its' medival wall standing. Went on Thursday, market day. The fried herring was as good as anything I have had at an outdoor market. The trip was easy. One train change and took about an hour.
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:24 PM

The rail system in Amsterdam is very efficient and easy to use. I would recommend taking the train over a tour, that way you can tailor your itinerary to meet your interests.

It depends on what your interests are. There is so much to see and do in the Netherlands. We've done quite a few day trips out of Amsterdam and found we can cover 2-3 towns in a day, if carefully planned. We call them our " a Kerk, a Plein, a Huis, a Waag" tours, as most of the towns contain all or some of these structures.

If you will be in country during the Keukenhof Garden season, I would definately recommend a visit there. If you take the bus to the Gardens from Leiden, I would suggest the Molen de Valk (windmill museum) which is right around the corner from the train station.

Delft is quite lovely with their Market Square and churchs. You can visit one of the two Delft Potteries.

If you enjoy art, the M.C. Escher Museum recently opened in den Hague. We went there last year and were blown away - much more than we anticipated. They have a virtual reality tour through some of his artworks. You can also check out the Panorama Mesdag and maybe take the tram to Sheviningen (?) and dip your toe in the North Sea.

Gouda has a magnificent Stadhuis, and St. Janskerk contains a wonderful collection of stained glass windows.

If you enjoy modern architecture, visit Rotterdam and the Kijk Kubus. Take a water taxi ride across the River Maas to the Hotel New York and back.

Utrecht (city center) is a neat old town where the canals are at basement level, instead of street level. The Dom and Toren can be visited - you can climb the Toren for a wonderful view of the city. Utrecht also has a clock/organ grinder museum, which we found very interesting.

The Teyler's Museum in Haarlem is definately worth a stop. And of course, they have the standard "kerk-plein-huis-waag."

Muiderslot castle, complete with a moat, is in Muiden, not far from Amsterdam.

You can check out the Netherlands Rail web site www.ns.nl and do a point-to-point query of your destination.

Have fun planning and taking your holiday. If you have any questions, I will try to answer. You may e-mail me at [email protected] or post them here, so everyone can share.

Robyn
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:52 PM

I only had 5 days on my first visit last summer, traveling solo, and spent them all right in the city. Had a great time! Just depends on what your interests are (I'm more urban than countryside, myself).
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Delft and Gouda are two great little towns. Neat architecture and many historic sights. Also, The Hague is great. I prefer it to Amsterdam.
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Sorry but i agree that 3 days in the city is best. There is so much to see and do. If you need a day trip what about Edam or Gouda?
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:33 PM
jor

Personally I will never go back to Amsterdam. Way to much crime and drug pushers. And I will probabaly get slamed for saying this.
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:03 PM

I've been to Amsterdam 3 times, and haven't noticed any more drug dealing or crime than you'd find in any other city, and actually they're far less threatening in A'dam than most places. What you will find is a beautiful, completely unique, unbelievably cheerful city with great museums and plenty of things to see and do. You'll also find an air of liberalism and approaches to certain issues (i.e. marijana use) that are practical and non-judgemental.
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I will agree with 'jor'. Never again will I venture to Amsterdam, I could not wait to get out of there.
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Good, I am going to Amsterdam for my 11th time next year and I am glad you are not going to be there!!
Mar 17th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:03 AM

I always thought everyone loves Amsterdam!
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Having traveled to approx 50 european cities amsterdam was the dirtiest i have seen.
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Re m_kingdom's message: I'm surprised it (gender neutral, of course) is capable of a spliced comma. What a disapppointment! You would benefit from reading Lynne Truss's "Eats, Shoots and Leaves," m_kingdom.
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Yeah but have you ever had one of those croquettes from Febo? I'd go there just for that!
Mar 17th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Hi deb,
Guess I missed that dirty, drug, crime part of the city. I liked Amsterdam and seeing the sights --Anne Frank's house, Riks museum (sp?), architecture, etc. Why not consider staying in Amsterdam with a backup plan of a side trip? That way you can decide for yourself after you get there. The train should be an easy option. Happy travels!
Mar 17th, 2004, 08:10 AM

How is it possible you missed the trash piled up on the main street leading to the square and in the square itself. it was like that all 3 days of our stay summer 02.it could have been solved by more frequent trash p/up but apparently too much to ask. we enjoyed the city anyway it just was unbelievable that the city fathers allow this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO