Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Aberfoyle Scotland

Date: early March 2007
Length of trip: 8 days
Location: Aberfoyle, Scotland and points north of Glasgow/Edinburgh
Wanted: More daytrip ideas from Aberfoyle, Scotland
Mode of transport: Rental car

My husband and I are going to Scotland for our tenth anniversary and I have been reading up on all the archives related to Scotland (and have already gotten some good information).

My husband gets bored VERY easily if we stay in one city more than 2 days, thus the need for a lot to see. Our timeshare is in Aberfoyle, so that's the central location for all departures during our trip.

We already know we'll be going to Loch Lomond (1 day), Stirling (1 day), Glasgow (2 days), St. Andrews (1 day) and Edinburgh (1 day) - but that leaves 2 more days open. But I wondered if there are any other towns/areas within 3 hours drive of Aberfoyle worth considering?

And yes, we know it's better to take the train to Edinburgh and leave the car - which we plan on doing.

Any recommendations?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM
rex

ttt...
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Staying at Forest Hills?? It is a great place and in a great area.

You will not lack for things to see/do. Unfortunately you will be there in March and some of the best places don't open until Aprill 1.

So Inchmahome Priory won't be open. But some things you can see and do as day trips from Loch Ard:

- Cruise on Loch Katrine -- I'd guess only on weekends in March but check to be sure.

- Stiring Castle and Doune Castle (very near each other)

- spend a few hours in Callander -- good visitors' center and LOTS of shops/cafes.

- Drive around Loch Lomond

- Edinburgh. Take the train from Stirling or Dunblane - much easier than driving in Edinburgh

- Drive through teh National Park - wonderful scenery.

- Walk to one or more of the waterfalls in the area. One is at the east end of Callander, another just west of town

- a day trip to Glasgow - again, a train would be easier.

- Drive to Balquhiddar (Rob Roy's grave) and Killin (amazing Falls of Dochart - which should be a torrent in March)

- Through Crianlarich to Glencoe. (Balquhiddar and Killin are on the way.

- If you still have time -- then excursions to Loch Tay, Inveraray/Kilchurn Castle/Oban, or Loch Tay/Perth are doable.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Oh - I meant to add. There is sooooo much to see, I probably would only do one day in Glasgow and skip St Andrews. (Don't get me wrong - St Andrews is great but there are tons of things much closer.)
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks, janisj, for your recommendations.

Yes, we'll be at Forest Hills. Unfortunately we could only do a trip in early March because of various things that prevent us from going in April. But we don't mind iffy weather, so that's no big deal to us.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I've stayed there probably 6 times over the years - a full week each time. Forest Hills is on the shore of Loch Ard which is really lovely. Besides the loch, you can see Ben Lomond from the grounds and some of the units. Last time I stayed there was about 5 years ago and there was some new building planned so not sure what changes have been made to the grounds. But they used to be gorgeous. An early morning walk out on the dock will get you some of the prettiest photos anywhere.

One thing - on arrival -- don't worry -- you didn't miss the place Leaving Aberfoyle you will drive along a very narrow (not single track but not very wide) road hugging the shore of the loch. You have the feeling you are driving forever - but it is less than 3 miles.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning on the single road leading to the resort!

My husband is an avid photographer so I know he'll really enjoy the trip for that reason.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM

There is a very good restaurant in Callander but can't remember the name. It is in the countryside next to a mushroom farm. The restaurant overlooks a field that was full of rabbits--very charming. Thankfully rabbit did not appear on the menu. We loved staying in Aberfoyle.