Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland ideas / vague itinerary questions?

May 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Here's the background:
My husband moved to the US from Aberdeen Scotland back in May of 2004. We had been planning to go back this summer, but it didn't work out $$ wise, and now we are definitely going back in June of 2007 with my parents. His parents/family/friends are all still there. I myself have spent 6 weeks total there (half in winter, half in summer), but MY parents have never been.

So on our long walk in the park today we were talking about the logistics of it all and possible itineraries. Maybe I could run this by some of you to get the ball rolling in my planning again.

I am fairly certain that my husband and I, will go for just over 2 weeks, and my parents will have to cut it short to maybe 10 days. That's fine, we'll just have to fly back on seperate flights.

(We would leave on a Thurs night, from Cleveland Ohio to Newark most likely, and from there to Edinburgh, preferably over Glasgow).

Day 1: Friday am - Arrive in Edinburgh. Husband's Father will drive up from Aberdeen and pick the four of us up (contingent on our luggage fitting or not - he has a Ford Explorer - any thoughts on it fitting?), and we will drive up to Aberdeen.

We will stay in Aberdeen until either Thursday morning or Friday morning (Day 5 or Day 6, depending on when my parents leave). I would like to take a 1 night trip possible on Monday or Tuesday to Loch Lommond. I don't know if this is the logical spot to put a visit to Loch Lommond, but there it is for now. Any other recommended day trips from Aberdeen would be welcomed.

(We are saying no to Loch Ness, Isle of Skye, Highland areas for this trip, since we've been to those places back in 03).

Day 6 or 7 (a Friday or Saturday) - We would take the train in the am to Edinburgh and stay there for 3 nights. There would be 3 full days for my parents to explore, which I think would be a good amount of time (thoughts on 3 days???). They would then leave for Edinburgh airport to fly back home on a Sunday or a Monday.

It's possible they will be able to stay longer though, til Tues or Weds. That would change some things around.

After they left, my husband's parents would drive up for the day and we would spend it with my husband's Grandma and Aunt and Uncle, in Edinburgh. We would be driven back to Aberdeen and would stay there for the remainder of the week. We would get driven back to the airport in Edinburgh on Sunday to fly back home.

May 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I'm only going to comment on the Loch Lomond day trip issue. From Aberdeen?? That is a very, very long drive. Certainly not anything I would plan.

Why not work in Loch Lomond as a day trip while you are in Edinburgh? I just don't think it makes any sense from Aberdeen.
May 8th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

How far of a drive do you think it is from Aberdeen? I was going to ask this today.

I was thinking about Loch Lomond on the way to Edinburgh, but that just doesn't work out with cars etc.

Maybe we will have to scrap that idea and go somewhere else.

How far is it from Aberdeen to St. Andrews? My husband says it's about an hour from Aberdeen to Dundee, so I guess we need to know how far St. Andrews is from Dundee.

I really wanted to go to Loch Lommond though.
May 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I have two posts going now on all of this. Maybe I could get Janis and Shelia's imput some more, and any others?

So the general concensus has been not to go all the way to Loch Lomond for just one night and two days, from Aberdeen. What if we made it two nights and three days?

Maybe we could start at Aberdeen, drive down to the Loch in one go (early am, get there by 10am), explore the Loch and the Trossachs that day and some of the next morning. The second day we would leave the area and get to Drummond Castle before the gardens close (this is a must see for me), and head to Perth to stay the night or somewhere in Fife. The third day we could explore Falkland Palace and St. Andrews and then head back to Aberdeen through Dundee.

Or would it be better to do two nights near Lake Lomond at the same place, and on the third morning head out early and visit Drummond Castle, and Falkland Palace and skip St. Andrews (none of us like golf, but is it still something we should see)?

Are the roads horrible once you are off the motorway on the way to Loch Lommond? (How do they compare to Skye's roads which were very scary for me!). What's a trunk road? My husband wasn't sure and that's what some of the maps said for some roads.

Do any of those ideas make sense? or am I totally missing something, and we could have just as nice of a time at some closer loch, and the Trossachs aren't worth it?

I could also seriously consider two nights, three days up in the NW Highlands instead. Thoughts on that vs. Loch Lomond, Trossachs, and Fife?

May 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM

OK - your new plan is a lot better. (Although Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are much closer to Edinburgh than to Aberdeen and would be an easier loop from there)

It is certainly doable to do a 2 night/3 day trip from Aberdeen to include Loch Lomond, a bit of the Trossachs, Drummond Castle Gardens (that would also be a "must" for me), and through St Andrews/Fife.

But I would do it a bit different (this could be done in either direction) :

Aberdeen to Fife/St Andrews. Overnight maybe in one of the fishing villages like this place in Crail. http://www.caipliehouse.com/ You would have time to visit St Andrews, Falkland and the coastal villages that day.

The next morning I'd head east to Loch Lomond and tour through the Trossachs and around the Loch, maybe take a boat trip on Loch Lomond. You could stay the night anywhere in the Trossachs or in one of the villages on Loch Lomond.

The next day up through more lovely scenery to Creiff and Drummond Castle and then back to Aberdeen.

This is a very doable itinerary.

A trunk road is just a main route (other than a motorway). You will find the roads much wider and easier in this area than what you found on parts of Skye.
May 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM

What's a trunk road?

Trunk roads are significant A roads that are the responsibility of central government rather than local councils.

They are usually busier (but not always better) than other A roads (which, in turn, are not always better than B roads).

Michael
May 9th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj, that sounds really nice.

I guess the reason we can't do it from (or to) Edinburgh, is because my husband's parents won't be going with us to Edinburgh. I can't really get it to work out that way, so it's better to do it at the beginning of the week (saving Edinburgh until Friday or Saturday).