Day trip to Wurzburg

Search

Day trip to Wurzburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Wurzburg

I've been receiving very good inputs from several people here with regard to my trip to Germany. With your help I have narrowed it down very much.
Thank you for that.

One thing came to my mind while going through the insights provided by you.

If I reached Wurzburg at around noon, at 12-1 o'clock, and had to leave in the evening, would I have enough time to visit the Residence and stroll through the town, without really having to rush?
I mean, I don't mind not having time for a beer there, so to speak, as I provided plenty of time for that in my itinerary. This would be the only part of my trip where I would have to be a little hurried, 'cause for the rest, I have several nights at one destination (6 or 7 nights in Munich, 3-4 nights in Stuttgart and 4 nights in the Black Forest).

What do you think?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Yes, it seems that you will have time for strolling, touring the Residenz, and even walking up to the "fortress" on the hill overlooking the city (can't remember the name of it). The view is very nice from up there.
I will envy you sitting at a sidewalk table, enjoying a HefeWeissen!!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

I'll definitely do that, ekellyga.

HefeWeissen it shall be!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM

I agree with the other writer. The fortress is called Festung Marienberg. You may want to take a taxi or bus up to the Festung and then walk down to the Alte Mainbruecke, the one with the Saints on it. This will give you nice views of the city and also an insight of the design of this fortification. It would help if you read a bit about the history of Wzbg.(I don't think there's any mention that I was born there, but they may mention that Roentgen discovered the X-rays there. You may want to read especially about the 16th century artist Tilman Riemenschneider. There is a copy of his Adam and Eve at the Marienkirche, I believe. The originals are in the Mainfranken Museum.

In Wzbg., you obviously can drink some of the local beer, but I would advise you also try the Frankenwein in one of their Weinstuben. Juliusspital is one of them. But remember the German saying: "Wein auf Bier, rate ich Dir; Bier auf Wein, das lass sein" (in other words, drinke the Bier before the Wein)
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM
hsv

I also think, the itinerary should be feasible without rushing too much.

Two remarks, though: It's &quot;Hefewei<b>z</b>en&quot; or &quot;Wei<b>ss</b>bier&quot;, for whatever reason.

And I absolutely agree with treplow about sampling the local wine at Julius Spital or Heiligen Geist Spital. The Franconian region around Wuerzburg is in fact more famous for its dry white wines than for its beer.

And the originally quite correct quote treplow gave you can be altered to taste or as required: &quot;Wein auf Bier, das rat ich Dir; Bier auf Wein, das schmeckt fein&quot; (Wein after a beer is o.k., Beer after a wine tastes fine, too). ;-). Never short of an excuse to have a drink, I suppose...
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies and valuable inputs.

So I know now what to do in Wurzburg and also that I have the time for it: beer, wine, wine, beer....
Luckily I'll be with my better half, so there'll be someone to pull me back to the station to catch the train.
That is if she doesn't indulge in some herself, too.

Unfortunately I won't have time to visit Roentgen's laboratory (I saw it's location on a map), but I'll definitely cross the river on that bridge.