Reload this Page >

Is there beer besides Guinness...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:17 PM
amelia

I'm going to Ireland and am ashamed to admit...I just can't stomach Guinness. At home, I drink the following in my order of preference (sort of dark to light): Arrogant Bastard, Victory Hop Devil, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Steam, with the last being my personal version of what I'd consider to be Coor's Light.

So what do I order at the bar, boys? My husband has no problem...he's been watching his barkeeps pouring Guinness for years and looks forward to visiting the Mothership.

Please don't tell me I'm reduced to wine.

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Intrepid

Going from beer to wine is hardly a "reduction" but given your particular tastes in beers you might even venture to teach the locals a thing or two about GOOD taste!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a nice light lager called Smithwich. I think you'll like it.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Oh, the problems of travel. Order a Guinness and shut up!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:06 PM

You can get a nice cold Smirinoff Ice.

A lot pub carry Budweiser. Yuck!!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:20 PM
dln

How about Harp? Or why don't you try a shandy, which is beer and lemonade (fizzy lemonade), or a black and tan, which is the Guinness, cut with lager. Heck, this is making me thirsty for a pint!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:31 PM

You can do Guinness and cider, which actually tastes pretty sweet. I can't remember, but I think Kilkenny is a (good) beer?
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Kilkenny is a bit heavy also. Many Pubs have Heinekin (of the Guinness 'family') or Fosters on draught. As Budman mentioned, Smithwicks (pronounced Smithicks) is another and I have seen many people drinking Bulmer's (cider). Guinness has a light ale called 'brio' (pronounced 'brew').

Murphy's is another choice.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Cider! I can't drink Guinness either, but I love cider.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 03:54 AM

There is a micro brew pub in Dublin called the Porter House at the end of temple bar on Parliament Street. They may even have anchor steam as well as many beers I think you might like. They also make theri own and its not bad. The most common lagers here are Heneiken and Carlsberg. Don't worry you won't be parched!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi Amelia,

In addition to Harp, you can get British, Dutch, Danish, German, Czech and Belgian beers in Ireland.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Amelia, TRY the Guiness in Ireland at least once. I too have always disliked the taste of it but the first time I went to Ireland I simply had to at least try it! It was fantastic! Tastes soo much different from what it tastes like the US. I found myself trying different beers, Smithwicks included, but always coming back to Guiness. If you find you still don't like it you can get all sorts of beers over there as the others have indicated.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:09 AM

We just returned from Ireland last week and here are some that we found in the Pubs:
Guinness (definatly dark & heavy)
Murphy's (around Co. Cork Area)
Beamish
Heineken
Fosters
Miller / MGD
Smithwicks
Bud
Harp
Kilkenny
Stella Artois (light lager style)
Ciders: Bulmers or a few small brands

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Can you get Caffrey (spelling? could be Cafferties, something like that)? It's a much lighter and smoother Irish beer. We first had it at the Plough and Star in Philadelphia, but also found it at Irish pubs in Brussels. But not recently, alas.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Caffery's - a great brew. Unfortanately, Caffery's was purchased by I believe Coors and taken off the market, at least in the US. Coors want people to buy and drink Killians under the mistaken beleive Caffery's was competitor (In fact Caffery's was a superior drink). Alas, many a poor American orders Killians in the believe it is an Irish brew but it is really brewed in Denver.

I am not sure if they still sell CAffery's in the Ireland but from the list by the recent poster it does not seem likely. But this would definitely fit your tastes.

I'll second the try of Guinness in Ireland. It really tastes better the closer you get to the brewery. I should know I pub crawled there to make sure.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Thanks. I did some web checking and see that Caffrey's (correct spelling) Irish Ale was/is brewed in Belfast, Northern Ireland, so technically I supposed it's British.
The web site for the brewery is currently down, but says to check back later. Who knows. What a shame if it's gone for good.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the "drinker". Use a notebook, try different beers. Also be aware that some delivery systems are better than others. Is the beer poured from a bottle? Is it pumped from a cask into a glass? Is the glass chilled? Is the system clean? Bring an electronic thermometer, record beer serving temperature. What did you like best? Is the beer pasteurized? How many/much have you had before trying this one? I suggest a check sheet. Show it to the bar man. You will get lots of information. Remember, American beers were lightened up to attract female drinkers. I had a great time in Scotland in a pub. I asked, "What is the best beer?" At closing time the barman locked the door and we continued tasting...........
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I was only in Ireland once, and it was way back in 1979 on my first visit to Europe so my memory is hardly fresh, but I seem to recall that, in pubs, almost everyone was drinking either Guinness (or some other dark-colored beer.) I wonder what kind of market share Guinness had in Ireland back then and whether it has less now.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:13 PM

It pains me to see that you cant stomach Guiness. I absolutely love the stuff. I just came back from Ireland and the Guiness there is even better than in the states. It is like the difference between tap water and Evian. I dont know what makes it taste so much better, but you should at least try it once. My girlfriend isnt a Guiness drinker but she liked Smithwicks (pronounced Smitticks)...not as dark.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:34 PM

I am not a Guinness lover either. But my son, who was living there at the time, said a lot depended on how it was poured. It should take around ten minutes to pour properly. Half a glass, let it settle, then another quarter and let it settle, and then the same repeated. That made it eminently drinkable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -