Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Strasbourg from Germany worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting my Uncle in the Weinstrasse region of Germany in mid-September. My Aunt said it's an easy day trip to France. I was looking at Strasbourg. Is it worth the trip? What is there to do/see there?
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM

If you are close enough to get there, it is a lovely city, with many canals and a very beautiful cathedral, which seems to "change color" to almost a pink hue in the late afternoon sun.
I can't tell you much specifically to see or do, except that the few times I have been there, we just enjoyed strolling the streets, especially in the evening. Yes, worth the trip. I will enjoy reading what others post in response to your inquiry. Those that can give you more specific advice.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Yes, absolutely Strasbourg is worth a daytrip - several days actually. There is the beautiful cathedral, of course, besides several great museums, a lovely canal boatride through lovely areas, and wonderful old areas of the city for strolling and/or shopping. I loved Strasbourg!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM

I LOVE Strasbourg -- try to train in if you can, as the drivers are insane, though.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Have you been to Germany before? Will you be seeing other parts of Germany on this trip? While it's enticing to visit another country, I encourage you to visit other areas of Germany if you haven't already.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

I've been to Germany before but it's my husband's first time. I'm kind of torn between seeing Strasbourg (because it's so close to where we're staying) and seeing parts of Germany I haven't seen before such as the black forest and bavaria. It's so hard to decide! We'll also be staying 5 nights in the Berner Oberland this trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:19 PM
DAX

I've only been to Strassbourg twice, while I like the city itself, it is the small alsatian towns & villages that I really love. They are much more attractive the the wine villages in the Deutsche Weinstrasse.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:47 AM

YES! Strasbourg is lovely. The Petit France area is wonderful but VERY touristy.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM

magicvoice:
Colmar is also very close to the German border and a smaller city than Stassbourg--I loved them both and felt that the French ambience was a very nice difference from Germany...I say go for it!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Go for Strasburg, if I am not mistaken it belonged to Germany not that long ago. Like many areas in in the world, this is an area that had belonged to another country.
I do not wish to enter into politics but no bombing no terror or violence , I guess that although they like or not they have integrated during the last decades and there you have it , to-day it is a lovely city that you will happy to know.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:50 AM

When in Strasbourg try a tarte flambee for lunch..very tasty.

For a real treat check out La Maison Kammerzell , built in 1427. This is a beautiful restaurant located in the heart of downtown Strasbourg, facing the Cathedral. The local specialty is the choucroute (sauerkraut) and Maison Kammerzell prepares some of the best choucroutes available.

Wash everything down with a good cold Kronenberg or 1664 beer, both great local brews.

Do not miss the cathedral. Awesome.
Petite France is great too.

If you need to sleep a super nice hotel is the Hotel Regent Contades. Great hotel, great staff, great breakfasts.

Have fun

We rate Strasbourg as one of our favorite European cities.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Graziella5b: You are not mistaken. Strasbourg (and the rest of Alsace) was not long ago part of Germany when it was incorporated by the Nazis into the Third Reich from 1940 until its liberation in 1944.

It had also been taken over by the Second German Empire following France's defeat in the Franco-Prussian war from 1971 until Germany's defeat in 1918.

Alsace's origins are, of course, Germanic, and it was part of the Holy Roman Empire until the end of the Thirty Year's War, when it became part of France in 1648. The cities of Strasbourg and Mulhouse were later annexed by France in 1681. Except for the two periods of German occupation, it has been an integral part of France for four and a half centuries. There was no need to "integrate during the past decades"
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM

The Alsatians work in Germany and the local Germans dine in Alsace: my French family has roots in/near Riquewihr.
Wonderful towns and vills.
M
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I agree with the previous poster that Colmar is nicer than Strasbourg. Either would be good, especially if you have a car.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Thank you laverendrye, I appreciate all the information and dates. Looking at the dates, I realize that since 1871 they have being 51 years under German rule and 84 under French rule.
In my ignorance I thought they had been longer under German rule...( may be it was their cuisine that let me to believe this...but this is a totally personal feeling, I might be wrong and besides I do not wish to offend anyone.)
At any rate my hat goes out to the inhabitants of that region that after wars and difficult times learnt to live in peace and prosperity.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Maybe read some book on european history. Germany didn't exist until 1871. Look for the frech urge "vers le Rhin" and the inherited enemy. Both contries share a common history and have been enemies for centuries. It's one of the most fascinating things in history how both countries today made it possible to not only understand eachother, but also make war impossible today and for future generations.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Locals speak a german dialect among eachother, but the younger generation today prefers french.