Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris, Alsace-Lorraine and undecided Germany

Apr 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and we know that we would like to visit Paris, Alsace-Lorraine and some part of Germany. We will be traveling in February 2012 (cold I know, but we are ok with it!) and are planning to spend either a week or 10 days on our trip. Paris and Alsace-Lorraine are a must for us - with Germany we are open to suggestions, where should we visit/stay/etc. We are thinking of visiting Munich but have not completely decided.
Suggestions are appreciated! Please let me know your favorite places to stay/eat in Paris and Alsace as well as suggestions for Germany.
Thanks for the help!
Apr 28th, 2011, 12:49 AM

Feb in Alsace, will be cold though I've been at 20C in Feb. So you may find the Ballon d'alsace has snow and some cross country trails on it. I'd still go up to it as the view across to Mont Blanc on a clear day is great.

Stasbourg and Colmar are the big draw, but the cities on the German side of the Rhine are worth a visit.
Apr 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM

You may not want to add this to such a festive event but Alsace has the only concentration camp built on French soil. You could visit.
Apr 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Fairly close to Alsace, in Germany, is the picturesque town of Gengenbach (the Rothenburg of German tourists!) and just a bit further, Freiburg im Breisgau and Staufen (edge of the Black Forest). All worth a nice visit.
Apr 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice!
While it will be a happy event, I think the concentration camp may be worth a visit, especially as we both love anything to do with history.
While staying in Alsace what city would you recommend making our base?
Apr 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM

With only a week to 10 days, I would limit my travels and save Germany for the next trip. Driving across Germany to get to Munich makes no sense to me with such a short time. Indeed, you could easily spend the entire time in Paris and not run out of things to do and see. So I would advise that you limit yourself to just one or two areas and spend more time there (like 5 days in Paris and 5 days in the Alsace Lorraine area. That could be Colmar, Strasbourg and many beautiful country villages and such. You could spend a day or two in Germany I suppose with this plan - look at a map. Strasbourg is near Baden Baden and just a few minutes away by car). What happens is that you try to see so much that all you see is vistas and drive by moments. Slow down and really visit the places you go. The history is great all over and will overwhelm you. If it were me on my honeymoon, I would stay in Paris the entire time.

Whatever you do you will enjoy it. IMO the biggest mistake is trying to cover too much in a small amount of time. It will be there when you return.
Apr 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM

I relly liked Colmar, as it was a smaller city/town than Strassbourg.
I have also heard good things about the tiny towns of Riquewehr and Bergheim, but in winter, travel connections might not be so good in these small villages.
Apr 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Driving from anywhere in Elsass to Munich is a piece of cake. That's what the Autobahn is for. Württemberg has lots of speed cams, Bavaria hasn't.
Apr 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM

We spent about 8 days in Alsace during the month of January, 2 years ago. We loved it. Yes, it was cold, but it was beautiful, picturesque and uncrowded, too.

We didn't have a car.

We visited Strasbourg for several days, then based in Kaysersberg, a gorgeous historic town with lots of great restaurants, cafes and real folks living in it.

We took a bus into Colmar from Kayserberg.

We also walked quite a bit. We walked into the neighboring village of Kientzheim, and through the vineyards and along beautiful roads to Riquewihr -- another historic town, filled with half-timbered buildings.

I had initially contemplated staying in Riquewihr, but, after visiting, we were glad we chose Kaysersberg. Riquewihr felt really touristy, almost Disney-like. And we saw very few locals out and about while we were there. Kaysersberg felt very real.

You'll have a lovely trip -- it's a beautiful part of the world.
Apr 28th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

JoeCal - the time crunch is a good point. I think we have definitely decided to spend 10 days on our trip but I am a little nervous that we might be cramming too much into our limited time. My fiance has never been to Europe (I've been to Paris several times and could ideally spend our whole honeymoon there) but he would like to to see more than one city. Limiting the trip to two regions may be a good idea...I wish we had more time and could see it all!
Apr 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM

We visited Alsace in mid-April and although we enjoyed it, it was very cold and the landscape quite barren. Strasbourg is a charming city; we didn't care for Colmar as much.
Are you set on Alsace at that time of year? Perhaps another region would be nicer in February.
Apr 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

How many days would you all recommend staying in Alsace? Is two days too little...would four or five days be better? If we end up limiting our trip to two regions then we will definitely increase our time spent in Alsace but as neither of us have ever been we aren't sure how much time we could easily spend there.

Thanks again for all your wonderful responses!
Apr 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr - my fiance's great-grandparents were from Alsace so we thought since we were going to be visiting Paris then we would like to see that region as well. Is there another region you would recommend for February? We are still in the early planning stages so nothing is set in stone yet, however, I'm definitely a planner and like to plan things as far in advance as possible
Apr 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM

You have "connections" for wanting to visit your chosen places. Don't be influenced by those who want you to do something different because it meets their expectations of a trip.

Strasbourg would be a great base, if only because it has the best connections to other places in Alsace.
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Amen, Aramis. If you have your heart set on Alsace, go. I didn't think the landscape was barren at all in the winter -- just different, obviously. Workers in the vineyards, fires burning, a dusting of snow on stone walls and fields...and the towns look spectacular against a winter landscape. I loved being there when there weren't hoards of folks around.

Colmar would be a good base, too, if you don't have a car. It has the best bus connections to the smaller villages, I believe.

You could do 2 days in Strasbourg, and 3 in a smaller village. It may be nice just to "chill out" a bit in a tiny town, where you can walk around and just hang out. We loved Kaysersberg for that reason. It had ample restaurants and cafes, etc so we weren't bored, and it was well-placed for walks and hikes to other towns.
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Hi,
being native from Colmar now living in Paris I really recommend what we call "la route des vins", the wineroad. You can find a list of the villages on this cute website: http://www.alsace-route-des-vins.com/
My favorite village is Eguisheim, and the main reason is because it is a circular village. Absolutely lovely.
Apr 29th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Don't forget Metz and Nancy in Lorraine, or even Luxembourg City just north of the border.
Apr 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM

I personally enjoy Alsace-Lorraine in the winter, though it can sometimes be cold. This trip report on Wissembourg, just in France next to the German border, might give you an idea, if you click on the photobucket link, of what the weather might look like in winter time.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Apr 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Our favorite place to go that time of year, besides Strasbourg, is Nancy (though it technically is the Lorraine part of Alsace-Lorraine!)

Here is some information on Nancy. For those traveling by train, it is very easy to get to from Paris.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...u-and-more.cfm
Apr 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Actually, "Alsace-Lorraine" has never existed athough even the French used this misnomer in the past and you can find "Alsace-Lorraine" streets in numerous French towns. The correct term is "Alsace-Moselle" and refers only to the parts of France annexed at one time by Germany. Otherwise, Alsace and Lorraine do not have much in common other than being neighbors. "Alsace-Moselle," however still applies the German laws from 1871 and does not even have separation of church and state. And in Alsace-Moselle, you never find shops open on Sunday except in December. The rest of Lorraine is a "normal" part of France.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO