Day trip to Lindos / Acropolis and maybe the butterflies. Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering renting a car, or taxi hire, to take in Lindos from Rhodes town and climb to the acropolis. Can anyone give me any idea on driving time and how much time to plan for seeing Lindos, climbing up the acropolis and looking around, then perhaps lunch back down in Lindos. I think we would probably start out about 9 am from Rhodes and return there.

Any lunch restaurant recommendations in Lindos or near abouts?

My wife and I are in mid 60's. The steps up the acropolis look a bit intimidating, but do-able. We will be there mid Sept, so maybe not super hot.

On the way back to Rhodes town, there is a valley with lots of butterflies, but not sure if they are active in Sept, and cannot seem to find any information. Anybody know if the butterflies will be active in Sept?

Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I visited Lindos some people were going up on donkeys. But try to pick a day when there are no cruise ships in port, as the place was mobbed. (Unless you're on one...) I traveled by bus and don't remember how long it took.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

We went to visit Lindos by boat and it was superb not tiering at all. Thake one of organised trips from Mandraki harbour and invade Lindos by sea, you be able to take magnificant fotos of the Acropolis of Lindos. Take the donkey ride going up, and you can easily walk down streets are crowded with charming litlle shops, you can by cold wattermelon and cool yourself on 3 different beaches.
We visited in June and never saw butterflies, but the Valley is beautiful, the nature is green and it is nice to walk there(not too hot). Enjoy Rhodes
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM

I reluctantly ask people to forego the visit to the Valley of Butterflies (actually moths) because tourists are endangering the species ... tour guides encourage clapping and noise-making to "activate" the moths to fly up and create a spectacle... whereas the poor insects are trying to recuperate and restore their energy, if they are constantly stimulated to flight, the mating will be far less successful, and there will be fewer each year. Can't we be mature and let them be?
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 05:20 AM

We went by boat as well and found it a fun and easy trip, except for the heat.