Day trip to Keukenhof from Amsterdam

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Keukenhof from Amsterdam

My wife & I are going to Holland in April. We want to do a day trip from Amsterdam to see the flowers at Keukenhof. We would like to take the train.On line I saw prices of $52 round trip per person.Anybody have any experience with doing such a trip and how would you travel.Thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM

For less than that you could rent a car and visit some of the surrounding bulb fields as well. As impressed as we were by the gardens, the surrounding tulips fields were the real "must see."

Another option would be to arrange your trip through a tour company, such as Viator. You would meet at a predetermined spot in Amsterdam, and then you would be bussed to and from Keukenhof.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM

That sounds a bit high.
Train from Amsterdam Centraal to Leiden, bus 54 to Keukenhof. I'm sure that would be cheaper than USD52 per person.
www.keukenhof.nl
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:56 PM

We did this two years ago--cannot remember the exact cost but it was less than $52. they were working on train rails and at some point we had to take a bus--I think we had to change buses in Leiden. There were many Daffodil fields along the way. We were there in very early April so the Tulips were not at peak bloom. The trip took at least half of a day but was well worth it. There was a large greenhouse with many varieties of Tulips and other bulbs in full bloom--almost a standard flower show. We bought our train tickets at the central train station in Amsterdam.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 02:10 PM

I agree, I'm sure it's less than that when you use public transport. Even so...even if it were $52 each it is WELL worth it. I don't know that I have every been so overwhelmed by beauty. Just when you think it can't possibly be more beautiful you turn the corner! Voila!

We will be there the first week in May, when my daughter chose this time period I told her, "well then, we have to spend time in Amsterdam so I can go to Keukenhof." She's not a garden person, but I'm thinking this will cure her!

Have a grand time!

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM

From the Keukenhof website:
Train from Amsterdam to Leiden Centraal (33 min.) at € 13.70 return full fare
in Leiden Centraal take the "Keukenhof Express" (bus no. 54) and ask for a combi ticket (bus+entrance) at € 16.80 full fare
Total for transport + entrance fee is € 30.50 per person.
These are the prices for the year 2006. 65+ will probably get a reduction.
We've done the trip from Antwerp/Belgium and it was very easy. The bus will drop you off right at the entrance of Keukenhof.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info....I knew I would get some good ideas from this group.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Another option, which I took was to book a tour with VVV (located at Centraal). They'll have a few catalogues for you to peruse. The tour was about €30/person, which basically provided r/t bus and admissions into Keukenhof. You were basically free to roam once there, however, there is a time constraint.

I have to admit, I had a hard time finding the Keukenhof express at that time, but I was also a bit rushed to get there before the rain wiped away the tulips.

The other option, which I plan on using the next time I'm there, is to rent a bike (but remember to bring a great lock!). The Keukenhof website used to have a wonderful biking map, which I will have to find again. Sigh.

Have fun.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:07 PM

And there's another way ... take the train to Hillegom - change at Haarlem to the Leiden line and get off at Hillgom, about two miles from the Keukenhof - i did this and walk thru the flower fields the whole way, a good prep for Keukenhof - i felt walking thru the fields was as fun a kaleidioscopic Keukenhof itself. The Hillegom station is just a raised platform out in the country smack in the middle of the flower fields - there's a park bench up there so you can picnic with miles of flowers as a backdrop. From the gardens i walked to Lisse and caught a bus from there to Nieuwe Venep, on the train line to Schiphol and Amsterdam. Of course from the gardens you can also hop the bus to Leiden. Buses were departing constantly. Avoid weekends when the gardens are seriously overcrowded.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM

I might add that the keuekenhof has its own rail station on the Haarlem-Leiden line but at presently no trains stop there. a few years ago Lovers Rail, a private train group, ran excursion trains there from Amsterdam - check in 2006 if that may be the case again.
www.keukenhof.nl for all details on the gardens.
I would eschew a group tour if you want to linger longer here - so easy to do on your own.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Many years ago, we also took the r/t tour from Centraal, which included a visit to one of the large bulb farms. Don't remember the cost, but felt it was reasonable and a very nice excursion. There are a couple of departures each day. I found that we didn't have enough time at Keukenhof, either, but understand that if you take a morning tour, you can arrange to return on a different bus later in the day. Worth a venture!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Hope you don't mind my piggybacking onto your question. I also am going to be in Amsterdam in April and this information was so helpful! My question is, will there be enough to view in the very beginning of April when I'll be there? Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Having been to Keukenhof several times I can heartily recommend the Keukenhof Express which includes train fare, bus transfer and entry. You enter the gardens through a back entrance which is less crowded and makes a lot more pleasant beginning to the trip. Further trips into the countryside are easy via either rental car or, my favorite, a train ride to a smallish town where you can rent bikes at most train stations and embark on level, well marked routes through bulb fields. Ask your hotel's concierge to call ahead and reserve bikes for you.
Remember, something is blooming all the time - my favorites are hyacinths for their aroma. Be sure to buy cut tulips from one of the farmers. Sad to say but the flowers are discarded because they keep the bulbs from developing. Huge stacks of cut off tulip heads throughout the fields is spectacular. Most are sent to dairies where the cows seem to prefer the red ones!! Enjoy and go slow..........
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM

wpcx2 ... are you sure the price you paid included train, bus and entry, The Keukenhof website explicitely states "There is no combination ticket on sale for train+bus+park." (it's in their FAQ's)
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM

We did the bus from Leiden and it was very easy and convenient.
We went to Keukenhof in early April 2 years ago and it was plenty beautiful-- it won't be prime-- a lot of the outdoor tulips will not yet be in bloom -- but indoors you can see them all.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM

What about in early May, what will be in bloom? Just want to make sure its worth the trip, we have a 9 hour layover on May 8th & are trying to decide if we should do the Keukenhof trip or just go to the town.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:44 AM

Best time is end of April/beginning of May. However in Keukenhof there are also some wharehouses where they show beautiful flowers. So it is worth a visit, even if you are earlier in April or later in May.
However check the openingsdates on their website.http://www.keukenhof.nl/
Maybe one of these tours is an option too:
http://www.keytours.nl/

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:18 PM

OK, I think a trip to Keukenhof is the way to go. Our flight arrives at 6.30, assuming we leave the airport around 7am, we take the train to Amsterdam Central & then another train to Leiden? How frequently does the Keukenhof Express operate? Do we get to see fields of flowers from the bus? Once we get there, I presume it is all walking? Is it very tiring? how much time do should we allow? Sorry about all the questions, we need to be back at the airport by 2 pm for a 3.30 flight to Boston so just trying to make sure the timimg will work. Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM

Also, does anyone know if the flower market in Aalsmeer still exists & if so, is it everyday? I read on an earlier post that it is close to the airport, but could one get there without a car? Thanks.