day trip to Cardiff

Search

day trip to Cardiff

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trip to Cardiff

I posted this on the US forum by mistake, my apologies to those who read it twice!

I'm heading to London again in November, and I'd like to take a day trip to Cardiff (only two hours from Paddington).

I will probably take the 6:25 am train to Cardiff..what time do you think I should return to London? The last train leaves Cardiff at I think 8:25. What I'd really like to do is just play it by ear and show up at the station when Im ready to head back to London. is this possible? if i just showed up at the station, could I purchase a ticket there for the next train out?

also, it will be a sunday (but, it will be the end of November--Christmas season)--will shops, etc be open?

thanks!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I can't tell you for sure, someone like Mucky will be able to confirm about Cardiff, but most big cities in the UK tend to have the shops open on Sundays until 4pm. And for the 4 Sundays before Christmas almost everywhere is open for shoppers! You should be lucky, and Cardiff is a great place for shopping.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:04 PM

The question is not whether or not you can get on a train without booking it in advance, it's how much it will cost if you don't buy in advance. "Walk up and go" tickets are getting more and more expensive, and buying two singles is likely to be even more so. Try www.thetrainline.com to test out combinations and possibilities.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Having said that, I would guess that trains back to London might get a bit crowded on a late Sunday afternoon.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Yes walk up tickets can be pricey - if you want to maintain your flexibility to take any train without planning consider the BritRail Flexi Railpass - in November it will cost you $157 for 4 consecutive days of unlimited train travel throughout England Wales and Scotland - can use to go to or from either Gatwick or Heathrow airport - the 4 days of out two months flexipass is a bit more $196 but you can spread your travel days out. So compare these with walk up prices - i'm sure advance online booking of non-changeable non-refundable trains just on the London-Cardiff trajectory would be cheaper than any pass - but if want flexibility and are doing other rail travel, such as to Oxford, Cambridge, etc and to airports consider the pass. (For pass details i recomment BETS, who've i've bought from for years 800-441-9413 - they are UK rail experts.) Passes cannot be bought in the UK. Check fares at www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 03:24 AM

The stores were open last year the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I would plan to leave Cardiff earlier as it is dark shortly after 4:00 and if the stores do close then you would have 4 hours before your trip back to London
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

just booked my train ticket..

i decided to visit on the friday instead of sunday because apparently the trains are much more reliable! I called rail europe--open return tickets were to cost over $300!

However, I was able to purchase a youth britrail pass--good for four days of unlimited rail travel in the UK--for $118! fantastic!

so as of now, my flight gets into LHR at 6:55 am, ill take the express to Paddington and board the next train for Wales. I decided to stay the night instead of a day trip, so i'll just get an early train back to London.
that'll give me the afternoon and the evening in London. Sunday Im thinking of going on another day trip from London..as long as I have the pass, I might as well use it! I've been to London so many times, including this past August, that it'd be nice to see some more of the UK..

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Don't forget that your Britrail pass is good for the Heathrow Express. Just validate at the Express ticket window.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Hi MissZiegfeld,
It's good that you have the opportunity to see more of the UK. Cardiff is a great choice.
Sundays in UK the shops over a certain size can stay open for 6 hours (I think??) so you would usually have shops open from 10-4 or 11-5. But alas Friday shops usually shut about 5 or 5:30and you may get some stores opening late for xmas (in Nov ugh )

Where will you stay in Cardiff?If you like pubs and clubs then Friday is brilliant in the city centre.

Regarding trains. I usually book an open ticket and just jump on the train as and when I want. But you have your now .....Have a great visit and if I can help you with anything Cardiff don't hesitate to email me

Cheers

Mucky
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

i didn't even realize that about the Heathrow express being included! wow, I guess i got a really good deal..my flight gets into heathrow at 6:30am-ish, so hopefully I can make the 8:45 train to Cardiff..i never check bags, so all I have to worry about is customs/immigration..three out of four trips it was a BREEZE, but one of those it took well over an hour..not fun!

on, and Mucky-- I'll be staying at the Big Sleep, which supposedly is in the center of town. I plan on learning a few Welsh phrases before I go (my pronounciation is pretty good I think--i was in a Welsh play a couple of years ago and absorbed a lot in regard to pronounciation..), but most people in Cardiff speak English, don't they?

I'm especially looking forward to sampling Welsh cuisine--do you have any reccomendations on any reasonably priced places that serve the "real thing"? There aren't many (any?) Welsh restaurants in the states, so I think this might be my only chance to eat Cawl..I'll be travelling alone, but certainly plan on hitting the pubs. (travelling alone never stopped me in London!)

Very excited. Wish I had more time to spend there. I originally asked my boss for a few days off to go to Toronto (to go see Connie Francis in concert!)--that turned into me cutting my Toronto trip into an overnight, and catching a direct flight to London! (i've been to Toronto already many times) since I have the pass, maybe I'll go on a daytrip Sunday..

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Hi MissZiegfeld,
The Big Sleep is pretty close to all that goes on in the centre. Never stayed there of course, but it's supposed to be interesting inside.

Strange as it may seem there are not a great deal of traditional (whatever that is) Welsh Restaurants, however there is one I know of which is just outside the city centre.
It's called the armless dragon.

http://www.armlessdragon.co.uk/english.html
Probably worth a visit.

There is another restaurant outside Cardiff in a place called Rudry which is near Caerphilly, its called the Maenllwydd inn,it is difficult if not impossible to get there without a car so you may want to give it a miss but it is a fabulous old pub/restaurant that sere many traditional Welsh dishes.

http://www.goodpubrestaurants.co.uk/...restaurant=150

Another place you may like to go is Cardiff Market in there you can buy Lava bread. Which is delicious fried with bacon. But I guess you won't be doing much cooking, so if you get the opportunity to try lava bread do so..(it's seaweed)

You are quite right, English is Cardiff's main language, but Welsh is spoken quite a lot too, Over the last few years there has been a drive to keep the Welsh Language, and huge investment has taken place in Cardiff, building Welsh medium schools. The downside of course is that the English speaking schools have received little or no extra funding and suffered as a consequence.

The city centre is packed with shops, pubs, bars etc etc etc..so you shouldn't have much difficulty with that.
Hope you have a great time, If I can help just ask

Muck
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 02:31 AM

Hi MZ,
Just thought...when are you here? End of Nov you say??
It's a shame if that is so because
11th Nov Wales play Fiji at Rugby at the Millenium stadium. Not sure when u are here, tickets are available and the atmosphere on that friday night will be pretty good.

If that's not your weekend (and it does seem like its not because you managed to book a hotel room..lol) ignore this post...lol

Muck
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:15 AM

If you are in the centre & looking for somewhere cheap for lunch, the Celtic Cauldron is a Welsh cafe in the Castle Arcade, right opposite the castle. The arcades are worth a look anyway - as you walk up St Mary's Street (away from the station & the Big Sleep) you can go up & down the arcades & include the market in that. Agree the market is good, Mucky (especially since we don't have one here at all !), but I think Swansea's is a bit better - had the best Welsh cakes I've ever had there, freshly cooked, hot & tossed in a bag of sugar !
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:24 AM

Oh Caroline I'm putting on the pounds just thinking about them !!!

Muck
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Mm, my mouth is watering ! Swansea market also has a good Welsh cheese stall.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I want to try Lava bread as well! It's served for breakfast, isn't it? Just wondering so I know what time of day to look for it..
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Uhhh... Muck, isn't lavabread made with seaweed? Add that to a little black pudding, and you'll probably have the scariest breakfast ever!

Maybe I will see you at the Fiji game...
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

fairfax, im pretty sure lavabread is seaweed with oatmeal, isn't it.

and i like black pudding!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Lavabread is sea weed, but it is delicious, as I said with bacon for breakfast.Fairfax pop into the market in town and get some and while your there get some cockles with loads of vinegar to take away..mm delicious..
I don't recall ever seeing oatmeal with it but that may be a recipe who knows.
Not sure if I can get to the Fiji game, but I may be able to. If I do I will be the guy in the red shirt singing ...lol

Muck
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

i actually like seaweed that I've eaten at Japanese restaurants, so I'm looking forward to trying this local specialty! and bacon will be a welcome addition to that meal..you have the best bacon in the UK..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -