Day Trip to Brussels

Search

Day Trip to Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Brussels

My wife and I will be in London for a week in August and we've decided to take a day trip on the Eurostar to Brussels. We've been to England several times but other than a few side trips to Paris, we haven't seen much of the continent. We'll have 8-10 hours in Brussels. I was planning to spend most of the time walking around Grand Place enjoying the sights, shops and cafes. My wife loves chocolate and I love Belgian beer. Brussels sounds like a great fit. Any suggestions for our visit?

GJ40
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:37 AM

For chocolate go to the shop attached Brindisa in Exmouth Market EC1 (an interesting area in itself) and buy Enric Rovira's artistic creations in chocolate- "the planets" as well as the high quality bars

I was in Brussels recently, their style of chocolate was not to my tastes at all. I'd recommend seeing the modern art museum, and of course the Grand Place, also if you can, get a taxi to Atomium and go to the top - a marvellous building with wonderful views over the city.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM

The hop-on-off bus is GREAT. Takes you everywhere (no need for taxi) and you can get on/off as much as you like. The full tour runs about 2 hrs (can't remember exactly) You will still have plenty of shopping time! The chocolate is TO DIE FOR! (drool..) Also, do not forget to at least buy one bottle of raspberry or cherry beer to take home. (Of course, if you taste it while there you will want to bring home a case!!)
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Does that bus pass by Bruxelles-Midi train station ? We are planning to stop there for 4-5 hours after Brugge and before traveling on to Berlin.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Steve,
Apparently it doesn't stop at Midi. It does stop at Brussel Centraal, though. That's just one stop away from Midi.

Here's the schedule of the bus: The stops you can hop on and off at are: Central Station, Pacheco, Place Rogier, Heysel, Bourse Grand Place, Sablon, Place Louise, Lesbroussart, Luxembourg Station, Gaulois, Place Schuman and Royal Square.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:11 AM

When I took the hop on/off buss 2 yrs ago, it went to the Atomium.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Re: the chocolate - i don't even have much of a sweet tooth, and thought the chocolate was fantastic. Grand Place is nice, but be aware of all the food vendors around the square - the food is fairly good, but if you have time to explore, there are better places to eat. You can't really go wrong with the food in Brussels - it's all delicious, and the pommes frites (french fries) are the best in the world. i don't know what they do to them. There's a beautiful park that the tour bus might go thru, called the Cinquantenaire. Have fun - Brussels is nice, but 1 day is plenty of time to see stuff.