Search

Brussels in 8 hours?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels in 8 hours?

Hello
We land at Brussels Airport at 9 am and leave from Midi station at 5 pm.
Can anyone suggest a doable itinerary to get a glimpse of the must do see things?

We are not interested in Museums?
Also is there some kind of day travel card? Is it economical for this duration and can you get it from airport?
Thanks & regards
SM
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:49 PM

In 8 hours if there is such a pass it could hardly be worth it - Brussels two iconic main sights are free - the statue of the little boy peeing (Mannequin Pis) and the Grand Place - one of Europe's most lovely town squares - city passes usually inlcude museums and transport

but in your case I would just take the train from Zaventem Airport to Gare Centraal - a minor station but a short walk from the historic town center and those two most famous of Brussels things - it should take about 30 minutes or so to go from the airport to Gare Centraal - buy a return ticket at the airport train station or from the rail desk inside the arrivals hall before exiting (last I knew there was one there).

You may want to walk around the Royal Palace area - nice formal parks and some neat architecture.
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! If I am correct looks in this is doable in 4 hours?
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:32 AM

When I was taking international arbitration training, one of the standard, and very tired jokes, from the instructors was "If you really hate all the attorneys, set the final hearing in Brussels." IMHO, four hours in Brussels is two hours too many. BTW, expect a great deal of crowding in the Grand Place.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Not me, I loved Brussels. I suppose if you aren't interested in museums, it may not be. It has one of the best musical instrument museums in Europe, if not the world.

I did just mainly head to Grand Place (don't know why they spell it that way given that's the name in French and it should be Grande). I saw things around there, although I did see the musical instrument museum on my way. OP not interested in that.

I then did a walking tour of the Art Nouveau quartier, where Horta's house is. http://www.hortamuseum.be/en/Welcome

I did all that in one day, but Horta's house was a little tricky to find, as I recall.

I used a one day travelcard, but if you only go to one spot and back, single tickets would probably be better. Single ticket is about 2.1 euro, all day is 7.50 or something like that.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

@ Jeff
Thanks Christina! We will consider chipping in MIM
if our 5 year old captain is in good mood!
How many hours for that?