Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip out of Paris - Dijon, Lyon or another?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going back to Paris for long weekend in January...have been to Reims for a day-trip and it was great!! Thinking about another town for a day -trip. I don't think I want to go to chateau b/c it will be too cold and probably damp in January, but I have no problem taking the train to a nice town, looking around, having a fabulous lunch, walking it off, and heading back to Paris. (That's what I did in Reims, and it was terrific). Is Lyon too far? Is there anything to see/do in Dijon? Any other suggestions, or can you convince me to go to a chateau? Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM

What about Rouen, or Angers? Both are good-sized cities with lots and lots of historical and cultural sites and great food.
If you should head to Angers, the château there is well worth a look, especially if followed by a trip to the Jean Lurçat tapestries (which were inspired by the ones in the château).
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:07 AM

How about Chartres?
Easy train ride, short distance from train station to beautiful cathedral with stunning stained glass,cute little town, then back to Paris
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM

I thoroughly enjoy Lyon. For a day trip it's a bit further at 2 hours each way. 4 hours is a lot out of a day. Besides it won't seem like that much of a contrast to Paris. It's a very large city.

Angers, Dijon and Troyes come in around 1.5 hours one-way like your trip to Reims.

Rouen & Chartres are about 1 hour.

I've been to all of these except Rouen.

I'd have a back up if you choose Chartres. If the day is cloudy I'd go someplace else. I was less than impressed with the stained glass on a gloomy May day a few years ago.

As StCirq mentioned Angers is a wonderful town. As well as the tapestries, I particularly liked the David d'Angers gallery constructed from an old church. Cointreau liqueur is manufactured on the edge of town. Last I knew they offered a tour but I've never been.

Dijon has an excellent art museum if that's your thing. The glazed tile roof on the cathedral is beautiful as well as a few other roofs about the city. There are two or three other museums. I recall the archeology, Burgundy life and the closed for renovations sacred objects museum.

I threw in Troyes as another option. It has a compact city center close to the train station. 3 or 4 smaller sized museums to see: fine arts, archeology, textile & tools come to mind. It also has a few nice churches to visit. The half-timbered houses in the old city are beautiful.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Rouen or Chartres sounds good; I'd love to go to both! I know that my next day trip I want to go to either Amboise to see where da Vinci is buried or to Auvers-sur-Oise to see sites associated with Van Gogh, not too many so it would make for a nice 1/2 daytrip.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I would pick Angers over Chartres. There is much more to hold your interest; in addition to the chateau, there are several museums, some very nice parks (that look good even in January), some excellent restaurants for lunch (at GREAT prices).
However, don't go on Sunday, as many of the stores, etc., will be closed and the town will be quiet and on Monday many restaurants are closed.
We found Chartres compelling only for the cathedral, after that, not much impressed us. However, we've been to Angers several times and are planning another stay there in June before driving across the French heartland for a week in Megeve and then heading back to Brussels through Burgundy.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Also 2++ hours each way is Normandy. The very moving American cemetery is seared in our memories. The nearby town of Bayeux has the nine hundred year-old tapestries;nice restaurants, shops.

With so little time, however, I believe St. Cirq is right on the money to use your time as productively as possible.

Anthony

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Dijon is 1h40 mn to Paris with trains roughly every hour, so it's definitely feasible. Plenty to do, see, eat and drink there, all within walking distance. If you want to be a bit "crazy", you can go to Avignon, it's 2 1/2 hours from Paris, yes, but you'll be in Provence and might reach the 15° threshold (unless there is mistral... ), so it's a nice change of scene in the middle of winter. It'll be quite dead though...