Day Trip Help Please Oberammergau to Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We're renting an apartment in Oberammergau in last September and would like to do a day trip to/from Munich. Even tho we will have a car we thought it would be easier to take the train. Any suggestions? Is there a town closer to Munich where we could park and ride into the city or is it easier to take the train all of the way?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 12:32 PM

Get a Bavarian Pass where for about 30 euros both you can take unlimited regional trains anywhere in Bavaria and city transports once in places like Munich for 24 hours- regional trains serve O'gau to Munich (though currently I think there is some bus substitution from Murnau to Munich itself until Sept 15 or but after that it is all regional train taking 1:45 with very frequent departures - I would take the train the whole way it will be cheaper if using the Bavarian Pass than driving and paying for parking at a suburban station.

For details on German trains check: www.bahn.de/en (schedules, details about Bavarian Pass you buy locally); www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM

wunderbar2- there are trains between Oberammergau and Munchen Hbf every hour. The trip is a few minutes less than 2 hours one way. Change trains in Murnau. Price is 23 or 28 € total for 2 people including return. Tickets should be bought on day of travel, no need to order in advance.
Check out www.bahn.de

Have a great trip...

Old Aug 11th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you, great info. I'll check the website links. Definitely would be easier to just go from Oberammergau. The price is good, especially since this is during Oktoberfest and It'll be nice to leave the 'driving' to someone else.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm back, having gone into the bahn.de site I've done a dummy booking but have a question, again.

Below is info I pulled up when putting a specific time to depart Oberammergau and a time to return. Since the trains run somewhat hourly, is it necessary to keep to a timetable schedule, especially on the return back to Oberammergau or can we return on any train within the area of validity?

Again, thanks for helping me to understand.

Regio-Ticket Werdenfels
Outbound and return journeys
Valid Mon-Fr from 9 am and from 12 am on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for as many journeys as you like on the day of validity within the area of validity, irrespective of the route you have chosen. No exchange or refund. 23,00 EUR

Bayern-Ticket
Outbound and return journeys
Valid Mon-Fr from 9 am and from 12 am on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for any number of journeys on the day of validity, no matter the connection indicated. No exchange or refund. 28,00 EUR
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM

http://griesbraeu.de/ Great place for a beer and dinner in Murnau if you have to wait anytime for the train.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 01:33 PM

Bayern tickets come also in first class for not much more - check DB site see if there is first class on those trains if so for a very little extra you can be assured of empty seats - 2nd class can always - especially going to Octoberfest - very crowded IME.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM

to go to Octoberfest from there get off off at the last stop before the Munich Hauptbahnhof - from that S0-Bahn station it is a short walk to the festival grounds - well you'll see everyone piling off there.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 02:31 PM

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/ Go early to get a seat in a tent if you don't have reservations. Be there by 11:00 am and have lunch, pace yourself.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 07:54 PM

wonderbar2- you can use any train any time in the area of validity. I assume you are only interested in the Oberammergau-Munich train trip. There is a restriction of starting after 9 AM Monday through Friday. No starting time restriction on Saturday or Sunday. Be forwarned, if the weather is nice on Saturday or Sunday the 'Fest will be very very crowded after 1-2 PM. As flpab says, " Be there by 11:00 am and have lunch, pace yourself." Another URL for a good description of the 'Fest is

http://www.oktoberfest-insider.com/oktoberfest-faq.htm

Have a great trip!!!

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 02:38 PM

I've visited Oktoberfest a couple of times and never sat down though I did always see empty seats which may have been reserved however for later - I always stood and watched the action and moved from tent to tent as each is different. I was traveling solo but with a group with others it may be nice to sit down and get sloshed all together singing again and again "There is no beer in heaven, that's why we are all here" to the liederhosen-clad oompah band.

The Notre Dame fight song is also a popular Oktoberfest beer hall tune, much to my disgust!
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 05:20 AM

..."no matter the connection indicated" Deutsche Bahn is good at these puzzling phrases. Another is "excluded from the 1st day of validity."
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Or DB.com's "please reserve: which only means reservations are possible - not needed or required - they have a red flag for trains expected to by in high demand - yes bahn.de could use some good translators.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:03 PM

Maybe just a few details in addition:

1. For a day trip from Oberammergau to Munich and back you want the Werdenfels Ticket, NOT the Bayern Ticket.

2. The trains from Oberammergau terminate in Murnau where you have a convenient connection to the Munich-bound regional trains from Munich.

3. You disembark the train to Munich at München-Pasing, and follow signs downstairs/upstairs to the neighboring S-Bahn platform. Take ANY S-Bahn from the "stadteinwärts / Hauptbahnhof / Marienplatz" track.

4. Disembark at Hackerbrücke - and follow the crowds. You won't be able to get lost.

5. If you travel on weekends, trains will be really crowded from the late AM hours on. If you want to avoid the crowds, start your day trip early and do some sightseeing in Munich first (in that case you take the train to Munich from Murnau to its terminus at Munich main station).
And go to the Oktoberfest grounds afterwards.
On weekdays, take the first train after 9am - when the Werdenfels ticket is valid.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 10:04 AM

1. For a day trip from Oberammergau to Munich and back you want the Werdenfels Ticket, NOT the Bayern Ticket.>

could you explain why - I am clueless so not questioning you just want to know - must be cheaper?

Thanks
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 03:33 PM

Yes, it's cheaper.
The Bayern Ticket is a day pass for the whole state.
If you only need to travel in certain regions, regional day passes are cheaper. The Werdenfels Ticket covers a corridor from Munich to Garmisch/Mittenwald (incl. Oberammergau and other communities) and also public transport in Munich.
Similar day passes exist for many regions nationwide as not everyone needs a ticket which covers the respective entire state. Or also regions which encompass parts of two or more states, or even neighboring countries. So the statewide tickets are often not the best solution.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great information and explanations of the different tickets and validity question I had. We plan to go into Munich during the week, we're not big party people but think since we're in the area we should at least spend a day people watching and of course having a bier or three! We've been to Munich several times so probably won't do much sightseeing other than Oktoberfest.

I appreciate all of the responses, thanks for taking the time to help.