Day trip from Venice

Search

Day trip from Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Venice

We will be in Venice for 5 nights and was wondering if there are any good day trips we can take. Are there any must see areas near by that maybe we should give up a night in Venice in order for us to see? Is it worth it to go to any of the lakes or dolomites? Appreciate any suggestions.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 08:01 AM

When are you going? If this summer it may be difficult to get a place to stay this late. The lakes are a summer area, not winter.

Go to Padua for at least a half day and see the Scrovegni Chapel with the Giotto frescoes. Must reserve.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Verona could also be another option. And the islands around Venice - Burano, Murano, Torcello etc.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Adrienne regarding Padua and the Scrovegni Chapel if you're interested in art history and beautiful spaces.

A trip I didn't take and wish I had is to the Palladian villas not far from Venice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladi..._of_the_Veneto
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you been to venice before because 5 days really is not much time to see all of the city.

have been to the scrovegni chapel in padova. you must reserve. you get 15 minutes to look at the giotto frescoes then must leave.

padova is a pretty town, especially if you like to shop-- lots of upmarket boutiques and prada, louis vuitton, etc.

be careful of padova, though. almost everyone is venice speaks some english. lots of people in padova don't.

for example, announcements are made in english at santa lucia train station in venice. only announcements in italian are made at padova train station--so if your train is late you might not understand what is going on unless you speak italian.

you can go to murano, burano, and torcello from line 12 at fondamente nouve.

good luck,

thin--also known as performance artist razr
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

We will be going in September. I know Venice is not very large. Is there plenty to keep us busy for 5 days? We will do Murano and Burano. Should we attempt to go anywhere else?
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:35 AM

TORCELLO!!!
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Venice has enough for five days or five years.

OTOH, if you want to venture out, Burano and Torcello are lovely.

Also, I know I keep advocating for Vicenza and Palladio's architecture, especially Theatro Olimpico, but I have also been to Padua and, unless you are a real art history buff and especially appreciate early religious paintings, or are very religious yourself (so you are moved by either the painting or the spirituality), Palladio's work is, IMHO, more beautiful and exciting than Scrovegni Chapel.

Padua is a larger city with lovely spaces and good food and shopping. The little city of Vicenza is charming with great walking area and beautiful architecture.

Verona is also a nice day trip, but (again, just MO) Vicenza is wonderful.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM

I agree with Sassafras - we have gone to Venice for two weeks the last 7 years or so and still discover more each time. A trip on the Brenta Canal is lovely; Vicenza is our favorite nearby city.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Roamer, you seem the perfect person to ask, and perhaps info will be applicable to this thread. We've been to Venice several times, and you would think by now we would have things pretty much nailed down as to our "must sees", but we are kind of "roamers" ourselves, not pushing to see and do everything. After six or seven visits, we've been to many churches, but still have not been to the Guggenheim or Accademia and I was an Art teacher.

Now, in late Sept, for only a week, we are taking friends who have never been to Italy. The focus will be Venice. Besides San Marco and Doge's Palace, we will probably take them to Burano, the Jewish Ghetto and day trip to Vicenza or overnight and day trip from there to Verona. If you were taking someone new to Venice, what would be your four or five top things to see or do? Would the Brenta Canal make the list? What about an overnight in Trieste?
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM

If you click on my user name, you’ll find a couple of trip reports that I’ve written about Venice. We have been there three times – an agonisingly short six nights, then two glorious visits, each of a couple of months. We’re going back there next April, to visit in spring instead of the middle of winter.
With say five nights, I’d suggest:
Doges Palace & the Basilica, and walk around the Piazza in the evening.
Have a spritz at Quadri’s (which will cost a heap).
The Frari.
San Georgio Maggiore, and take the lift up the campanile.
(Bar) Cantina San Trovaso, and stroll down to look across the canal at the squero (gondola workshop)
The ghetto – I wrote a little about the ghetto, and I found it very moving.
Burano and Torcello. Torcello can feel like a day in the country after the “squeeze” of venice.
A couple of the scuolo – take your pick.
San Pietro at the far end of Castello.
The rialto market – go very early in the morning, watch the fish being unloaded and have a coffee. 5:00 AM is good!
For a day trip, I like Vicenza and Palladio’s buildings.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Peter, Thanks so much. Except for San Pietro and the spritz at Quadri's, those are almost exactly the same things DH and I did on one of our five day trips to Venice, so I guess it will be pretty much a repeat for us.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, miss thing, i would rather have my spritz at paradiso across from the biennale vaporetto stop. not only is it much cheaper than quadri--5 euros--you also get a beautiful view of the water and the biennale gardens.

the performance artist known as razr
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Pepper, Thanks.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

What about a day trip to the Dolomites? Is it worth it? I saw a tour from Venice but not sure it is worth it.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Dolomiti ? Not on a day trip with all of what Venice offers. You can see the mountains on a clear day on the lagoon but.....