Day Trip From Venice

Feb 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Day Trip From Venice

We would like to take a day trip from Venice after we return from a cruise in May. Padua, Verona, and Vicenza are nearby, but we would appreciate any advice from you wonderful Fodorite experts. We would travel by mail. Thanks,

Jim
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant we will travel by RAIL!
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:13 AM
ira

Hi J,

How many days and nights will you have in Venice?

Feb 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM

I liked Padua, Vicenza did not do much for me and I have not been to Verona. Another day trip, more of an outing, would be to just stay on the Venetian lagoon - go to Burano, Murano and Torcello. There are some pleasant restaurants out on the islands and a church with mosiacs on Torcello. I loved Ravenna but it would be a loooonnng day trip.
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM

I agree that Burano and Murano are worth seeing, but I don't really consider them day trips as much as simply parts of Venice.

I don't know how accessible they are by train, but the Palladian Villas of the Veneto would make a good day trip.
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

ira,

We'll be in Venice 2 days before our cruise, and we've been to Venice before, so I thought we'd do something different our 3rd day.

Jim

Feb 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM

One of my all time favorite places in Italy is Verona. It's full of history, small enough to walk everywhere, and there are great restaurants. I would suggest it as a day trip.
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
yk

I have been to all 3, but I really short-changed them because I did all 3 in one day from Venice! (It was a very long day trip though.)

I like Padua the best, and the Scrovegni Chapel is a must-see. I didn't have enough time to visit the Palladian villas around Vicenza, but seeing the Teatro Olimpico was pretty cool. Verona seems the most touristy to me.
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM

You might consider Bassano del Grappa. I believe it is doable by train. Asolo and Marostica are near Bassano but they would be bus trips (no trains).

We have been but Chioggia is at the southern end of the Venetian lagoon. There is supposed to be some of regular Venice to Chioggia boat service.
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
ira

Hi J,

>We'll be in Venice 2 days before our cruise, and we've been to Venice before, so I thought we'd do something different our 3rd day.<

Ah. I didn't realize that you had already spent a number of weeks in Venice.

Well, if you have seen all of Venice, I don't think that you would be disappointed by any of your choices.

You might also consider Bologna - about 1:40 hr by train.

Feb 26th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. It's good to know we can't go wrong whatever we choose!

Jim
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Bassano del Grappa is about an hour by train and a very nice day trip.

Search this Thread