Solo Birthday Trip to Paris

Feb 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Solo Birthday Trip to Paris

I am taking myself (alone) to Paris next week to celebrate my 40th birthday. I have semi-planned my days but am looking for recommendations on great places to eat/people watch where I will not be made to feel awkward to be a 'party of one'. Specifically, I am planning to attend the opera (Palais Garnier) on my actual birthday and would like to find a restaurant/bar nearby to have a late dinner after. Thanks in advance...
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM

You might try Gallopin on rue Notre Dames des Victoires. We had dinner there with some Fodor's friends a few months ago , another friend spent NYE there alone, and another group of friends had a GTG/We all agreed the decor islovely , the food very good and the price reasonable.
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM

jjohnson33 - Sorry I can't help with restaurant reco's (we generally eat crepes and poulet roti, or wander into whatever looks good), but I'm having the same birthday there in a few weeks. Have a wonderful time!
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM

If you have lunch in the restaurant at the Orsay Museum, you will not feel ackward at all. You will see plenty of people dining alone.

I saw lots of lone diners at Angelina on Rue Rivoli.

Galleries Lafayette near the opera house is a great place to dine alone. The Food Halls are on the second floor in the Men's Store. You can sit at one of the many counters and have a nice meal. I don't think you can dine that late, though.

Thin
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Many people coming out of the Palais Garnier dine at Le Grand Café on Boulevard des Capucines, just one block away, open 24/7. If the prices are too high, you might consider Hippopotamus Opéra, right across the street from Le Grand Café. It is a steakhouse that serves until 5 a.m.

Search this Thread