Search

Day trip from St Andrews

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM
DDA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from St Andrews

I am looking for advice for a day trip outside of St Andrews. We have spent time in Edinburgh, so Aberdeen, Perth, and Glasgow are places I am considering-- though I am open to any option on the train route. We enjoy old charming towns, castles, and history. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Will you have access to a car (it seems not since you mention trains). There is no train service to St Andrews. But there is to Leuchars - you need to take a bus or cab to/from St Andrews. It also sounds like you mainly want cities - but if it were me I'd hire a car for the day and stay right in Fife. There is a TON to see/do w/i 15-20 miles of St Andrews.

- All the fishing villages (Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, etc).

- A boat trip to the Isle of May - amazing, including getting up close and personal w/ Puffins and other sea birds, three light houses, etc.

- Falklad Palace and it's fascinating history and lovely gardens.

Way more "stuff" than you will have time to see.

Or - you can drive up to Glamis Castle, maybe include Edzell.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I'm with Janis on this, especially Falkland Palace & the Isle of May.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM
DDA
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick responses. Our daughter is a student at St Andrews, so we have been to the area quite often, and have driven around. This time I am visiting alone and am not comfortable driving on the left ( my husband knows no fear!) Also, we have never found a car rental business in St Andrews, so I would have to drive in and out from Edinburgh airport-Yike. So, I guess I should rephrase my question. I know I can get to these cities by train-- any opinion on which would be more charming? I have to honestly say, I cannot imagine any of them could be much nicer than St Andrews, which we love. And we don't even play golf!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a pretty good bus service w/i Fife that would get you to most of those places. You could got to Crail, see the harbor, then on to Anstruther, visit the Fisheries museum (much more interesting than the name might indicate) and then take the boat to the isle of May.

But another option by train would be to go to Stonehaven, then walk or take a bus/cab the very short distance to Dunnottar Castle. If you haven't been there yet, it would be a "must see".
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
DDA
Original Poster

Date: 10/05/2007, 11:27 am
Janisj- Thank you for the good suggestions, but we have seen all those you mentioned. Actually we were at Dunnottar castle last week. It is our daughter's favorite. We took her brother with us to get her situated at school this time, and she wanted him to see it. Are either Aberdeen or Perth sort of nice cities with some historic areas?