Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the fall weather like in Vienna, Munich, Prague....

Oct 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

How cold does it get in Vienna, Munich, Prague in October?

Here in Winnipeg, Manitoba fall is my favourite season. The trees are not quite bare yet & the leaves are a lovely red & yellow. The temps first thing in the morning are around 6 C, & the daytime temps have been fluctuating between 10 C & 21 C, normal for this time of year here.

Winters here can be rather cold, hitting -40 C is not unusual in Jan. especially, but most times the coldest gets about -25 or -30 C.

So, we are used to the cold & I in fact, luv the winter...I know there won't be any snow while we are holidaying, but just wondering about the general temps...thanks!
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Weather is similar though somewhat cooler and wetter than in your region. Expect daytime temperatures between 10 C and 15 C. Sometimes we are lucky with quite warm and sunny days, then we speak of "golden october" and the "Spätlese" will produce great wines (today we have such a day with 18 C and sunshine).

The leaves are currently turning yellow and red but not as colorful as in your region. Winters are milder, temperatures often remain above 0 C and rarely reach -15 C. As a result, rain is more frequent than snow.
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:32 AM

You must be somewhere in the north. ;-) It's been raining cats and dogs the whole morning here in Munich. 15C, dry now, but not for long.
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Tja, der Norden hat eben doch mehr Lebensqualität...
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Logos, I live on the prairie, so the winds have nothing to stop them, neither does the snow lol.

My city is actually in the middle of Canada & is the southern part of our province...we are 2 hours from the American border.

We rarely get rain in winter & if we do, it will soon freeze, causing power outages, many road accidents & broken power lines & trees due to the weight.

So I then will make sure to have umbrellas, yes? lol...Same with some waterproof shoes...
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM

When you're from Winnipeg, there's nothing "winter like" at all to find in Vienna, Munich or Prague, just early autumn weather during December ;-). (Think mid-October at home) (I myself like Saskatoon better than Winnipeg. It's too big!). But Canada has become so expensive lately.
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM

And yes, an umbrella does help. ;-)
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Saskatoon is a lovely little place, I agree lol..had to laugh at you feeling Wpg. is too big...that's exactly how I feel about Vancouver or Toronto & don't enjoy those places at all lol

Fall weather it will be then, perfect!
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Well, Munich feels more like Saskatoon than Toronto or Vancouver. Don't ask how we do it ;-)
Oct 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM

weather.com has a pretty good forecast for anywhere in the world up to 10 days in advance, with the high, low, and chance of precipitation.
Good luck!