Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from Split or one day in Hvar? Would love your advice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2024, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling for nine days from Zagreb to Dubrovnik with my two teens, and trying to decide which of these is better:
  1. Return my car in Split near end of the day, spend one night and only the next morning seeing Split, and then take a ferry to Hvar. I would only have the next day to see Hvar and snorkel on Pakleni since we need to leave Hvar early the next morning for the ferry to Dubrovnik. So two nights, but only one day.
  2. Instead of two ferries, lots of Ubers, and yet another 2-night stay, book a hotel in Split for three nights, and take a day trip to visit Hvar and snorkel on Pakleni. This option would give me time to snorkel at Primostenand on the drive from Sibenik and also visit Trogir (curious if it’s worth stopping at Primostenand). However, this option means taking a bus from Split to Dubrovnik (Sun Gardens Hotel).
  3. Do option #2, but instead of taking a bus, keep my car and drive to Dubrovnik (Sun Gardens is north of the city) and then I could drive into Dubrovnik when I visit and also drive to the airport two days later (seems $$$ to get from Sun Gardens hotel to DBV). But this is still likely the more expensive option.
Thank you so much for weighing in! Trying to balance fun for my kids with not too much shlepping.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trogir is a 4 hour visit and can be done by bus from Split.
Ferry to Hvar
Ferry to Bol
Ferry to Trogir is normally a possibility but not checked the timetables for 24

just base in Split
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 01:43 AM

Concerning option 1:
the last Hvar town bound catamaran leaves Split at 17.30
the last Starigrad (Hvar island) bound ferry leaves Split at 20.30
the last Dubrovnik bound catamaran leaves Hvar at 17.55

option 2:
Why will you have time to stop at Trogir before reaching Split in option 2, but not in option 1?
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 05:28 AM

I would base in Split. That is what we did. We spent 4 nights in Split, and took a daytrip to Hvar, and then the next day we visited Trogir for about 3/4 of the day, and still had time to visit the Ethnographic Museum in Split when we returned. We loved Split. It's a beautiful city located on the water. I recommend hiring a private guide for a 2-hour walking tour of Diocletians Palace and Old Town. We hired Maya Benson who is recommended by Rick Steves. She was wonderful! This tour really enhanced our visit of Split.

I would drive from Split to Dubrovnik and return the car there on the day you arrive. You do not need or want a car in Dubrovnik. How far is Sun Gardens from Old Town? You could take a taxi into Old Town, which I don't think would be expensive. We didn't think Croatia was expensive when we were there in 2019. And take a taxi to the airport. Much better than spending the money on the car rental when you won't need the car. And check to see if your hotel has a driver who can bring you to the airport. And possibly into Old Town. Some hotels provide that service for a reasonable fee. We did that on Santorini recently and a few other places.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 08:39 AM

I’d do #3 so you’ll have a car when you are staying north of Dubrovnik. This is assuming your accommodation in Split offers parking. Or drop off your car, but then pick up another one. This is solely based on the location of that hotel (Sun Gardens.)