Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from split: ferry to Hvar or multiple island trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I知 starting to think more about the trip again and am beginning to believe we are going in mid-September. So now I知 starting to fill in the details.

We will be in Split for 4 nights. The only island we値l be staying in is Korcula. For Split, I知 thinking the following for each day:
day 1 - Split sites
day 2 - Trogir, return to Split by ferry
day 3 - Ferry to Hvar vs Island boat tour

We are late 60s, early 70s, so not looking for a party boat, hectic schedule or any demanding hikes. The island boat tours sound fun, if there is one that fits the bill. I壇 love any recommendations for a company or island combination.

Or, should we just do it on our own and take the ferry?

Thanks! Fingers crossed, we will be going soon!
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:49 AM

Glad you are in the planning groove of things. My recommendation would be to go by ferry on your own. Hvar Town will easily fill up a full day between the harbor area, the fortress overlooking the town (highly recommended), galleries, and dining. You can also take short strolls to the beaches right outside of town if the weather is nice. My impression of the boat tours is that it is rushed and focused on the water and drinking. They visit 5 to 6 islands in a day, which doesn't seem like much time for any of the islands. If you really want to island hop, you could take a taxi boat from Hvar harbor to one of the Pakmeni Islands. There's also the interior of the island but with one day I would stick to in and around Hvar Town.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tp, that was my original plan, though some of the boat trips sounded fun - but definitely geared to a group a tad bit younger than us!

We are inclined to a DIY style, and it sounds like we’ll have enough to do in Hvar town.