Day trip from Split to Hvar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My husband and I are going to Croatia for a week (we take what we can get!) in May. We are spending the bulk of the time in Dubrovnik, then driving to Split for the end. We plan to stay in Split. We would really like to do a day trip from Split to Hvar. The ferries seem to run the opposite schedule (from Hvar to Split in the morning and from Split to Hvar in the afternoon). Are there any private or group excursions that we could take that operate in late May? Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Did you search Stari Grad and not just Hvar Grad?
I am sure there are private excursions. Go to a tourist office when you arrive in Split, as sometimes they are not offered daily.

Also, as you are driving up the coast anyway, you could drive across to Sucuraj from the mainland (at Drevnik I believe), drive across Hvar, and then return to Split from there.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM

The car ferry goes from Split to Stari Grad four times a day (or three times on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays). The trip takes two hours, and the ships have a bar/café.
There is a sailing at 0900 from Split, and one from Stari Grad at 1730, which would give six hours on the island.
At Stari Grad, buses and taxis wait on the quayside to take people to Hvar town and other parts of the island.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, yorkshire and GeoffHamer! I appreciate your help very much.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM

GeoffHamer:

Instead of driving from Split to Dubrovnik, can I take the 0900 ferry from Split to Stari Grad (Hvar) for the day on Wednesday 5/28 (as you described for CordeliaCH), and leave by ferry the same day for Dubrovnik or Korcula instead of returning to Split? or do I have to spend the nite and hit the mainland the following day?

These ferry schedules are so hard to understand.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:44 AM

Without a car, you can leave Hvar town by catamaran at 1710 for Korcula, arriving at 1825 (www.krilo.hr).
With a car, another option is Jadrolinija's ferry from Sucuraj (at the eastern end of Hvar island) to Drvenik on the mainland, which runs six or seven times a day.
All the transport connections to Korcula are summarised her:
www.korcula.net/grad/pitanja/index.html
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM

GeoffHamer:

Yeah. Well we'll have a car so the catamaran is out....and the last ferry from Sucuraj to Drvenik is 1800, so we'd have to leave Hvar around 1630 to make it to the end of the island. We'd have 6 hours on Hvar, but would be able to eat lunch, but no dinner or see any nite life unless we stayed over, and we already have a great apartment booked in DBV.

However, it looks like we'll have to take that option if we want to see Hvar at all.

We'll also take a day trip from DBV to Ston, the Great Wall, the Peljesac peninsula (with stops in some wineries, of course) and spend some time on Korcula.

The last ferry back to the mainland is at 2130 so we can have a leisurely dinner in Korcula town before splashing on to Orebic.

I thought about trying to go in reverse when leaving DBV and ferry from Korcula to Hvar and then catch the last ferry to Split, but that's really no better since the last ferry is at 1730...so we'll drive the coast and stay over in Trogir and the Isle of Rab. That way we'll at least get the feel of Croatian island life.

Thanks for your help with the ferry schedules.