Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from London by train - Hever Castle? Tonbridge Castle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a day trip from London in late June. I'm fine with about a 2 mile or so walk from a train station. I love castles and gardens (architecture and exteriors more so than furniture and art work inside).

I really want to go to Bodiam Castle but from my research it sounds too difficult/complicated to get to by public transportation. So I'm looking at Hever Castle, Tonbridge Castle, Knole House and Ightham Moat. Any opinions on any of them - both in terms of what they are like ("worthwhile" - hate that phrase but you know what I mean - and I know everyone will have different opinions) - as well as ease of getting there. How easy would it be to combine a couple of these on the same day? Which ones?

Other suggestions? I'm probably going to Arundle on another day. Have been to Leeds Castle (and Sissinghurst).
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 05:20 AM

Bodiam doesn't sound so complicated to get to. Have you looked at the directions on the website? http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodiam-castle

If you can combine it with a trip on the steam railway it would e a great day out. http://www.kesr.org.uk/timetable
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 07:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd do Hever or Ightham Mote (note the spelling). Hever is much larger with massive gardens.

But as hetismij2 says -- Bodiam isn't that difficult. here is the bus schedule from both Hastings and Tunbridge Wells. http://www.sedlescombe.org.uk/Index/...metable349.pdf
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 07:33 AM

I took a train to Hever and walked to the castle but did not catch the footpath that would have been much nicer than trekking along a very busy road - look for info in the station -unstaffed when I was there and Hever is a neat castle.

Hatfield House north of London is also neat - especially if into English formal and kitchen gardens. A short walk from Hatfield village train station - every short.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 07:55 AM

Not sure where Tonbridge Castle is but assume in Tonbridge - which means Royal Tunbridge Wells is right next door and one of the most interesting places I've been in SE England - old spa town with original water source and parks and just a sweet town in case one castle is enough for you.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Meant to post . . . IF Tonbridge castle was one of your choices -- I'd personally consider Penshurst Place instead.

Very interesting property w/ lovely gardens.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Hever is ok but the trek from the station is better done . . . by cab. The castle has been completely rearranged since the two Annes - Boleyn/Cleves - resided there.

And evidently someone doesn't know how to spell Boleyn because her dad's grave is at the nearby church and he's listed as Thomas Bullen.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:31 AM

Hever is ok but the trek from the station is better done . . . by cab.>

No cabs were waiting at the small remote unstaffed station when I were there but there was a taxi phone number to call if you have a phone - think you can pre-book one but if you take the right footpath it is a lovely walk - do a little rambling as the Brits call it - if you've never walked on Britain'smyriad of public footpaths could be a treat and burn off a few pounds you may put on in the castle's and garden's restaurants.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links. Maybe I'm missing something but Bodiam Castle still seems a bit difficult to get to by public transportation - essentially involving either a taxi (and probably a per-arranged one at that) or a train plus a bus - which looks like it would take almost three hours, plus I'd have to be pretty careful with schedules since the bus only runs once every two hours. The Steam Rail looks cool, but that's even one more thing in each direction. So certainly doable but I guess I have to weigh if Bodiam is worth that much trouble.

Tonbridge doesn't look nearly as great as Bodiam but it's just a 45 minute train from London and then a 'ten minute walk up the High Street'. That's what I meant by easy. Thanks for the suggestion about combing it with Royal Tunbridge Wells, that might make it more worthwhile.

Re Hever Castle - Pal, you said you walked along the road rather than the foot path. Do you remember how long it took you, and if there was a sidewalk? Or if anyone has taken the footpath I'd love to know if it was well-marked. I've been on some foot paths where the 'markings' were broken, missing or grown over and gotten a bit lost so I'm hesitant to do that. While the foot path might be more pleasant I'm more likely to walk along the road. Last year I walked from the Dover train station to Dover Castle and it was fine, this sounds like it might be a similar distance.

Janis - so you think Hever makes more sense than Ightham Mote? (I was concentrating so much on spelling 'Ightham' correctly that I didn't notice I spell 'Mote' wrong). Is it really pronounced 'item'?
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 06:00 PM

I've always pronounced it sort of itam (short i and short almost elided a) but who the heck knows

The site isn't letting me post the rest . . . Lost it 3 times. I'd maybe do Hever - it will take several hours if you spend much time oin the grounds.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 12:11 AM

It's pronounced eye-t'm.