Warwick and Leeds Castles

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Phyllis Taylor

Warwick and Leeds Castles

I will be in London in mid October and would love to see Leeds and Warwick castles. Am traveling solo and without transportation.

Do the trains go to both castles and can I make a day trip out of each castle or will I need to stay overnight?

Thanks for any info.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Boomerbabe

Hi Phyllis,
I stayed in London solo for 12 days a few months ago and went on the 'Original London Walks' daytrip to Canterbury and Leeds Castle.

You don't need to make a reservation, just show up at Victoria Railroad Station. You can check their website
http://london.walks.com/
for the correct day, time and meeting place.

For about 40 pounds you get your train fare, all admissions, a guided walking tour of Canterbury and a Cathedral tour in the morning, then in the afternoon you go to Leeds Castle, returning to London at 6:30 or 7:00 pm.

You have about an hour of free time on your own in both Canterbury and at the castle.

It's also a nice opportunity for a solo visitor to get to chat with other tourists from other countries.

I've never been to Warwick Castle, but it's on my list for a future visit!

Have a great time in London!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:19 PM
janis

Unless your trip is more than a week you will probably only have time for one extended day trip. There is much more to see at Warwick and you can easily do it as a day trip from London by taking the train to Warwick. It takes several hours to explore the castle and grounds plus another hour or so in the town including the High street antiques shops and the beautiful St Mary's church.

Leeds advertises all over the tube - you see the adverts on most walls - as a great day out by train (plus a bus connection). Unfortunately, the best thing about Leeds is the outside and gardens. Inside it isn't much compared to other British castles/stately homes. So it really would be a waste to just go to Leeds. So if you simply MUST see Leeds, Boomerbabe's suggestion of a combination tour to include Canterbury would be a better use of your time.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Karen

Phyllis,
Haven't been to either, but did take a day trip with my daughter on Evan Evans Tours from London to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court, which included a boat ride back to London on the Thames. It was great fun.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Lori

Phyllis,
Take the train to Warwick. You can get a combined castle and train ticket at Marylebone Station (Bakerloo tube line) and off you go. It saves a bit from buying them separately. The train takes about 90 min. - pleasant ride as well. It's about a 15 min. walk to the castle from the train station, through the town. The castle grounds are extensive and beautiful, as well is the castle. Lots to see/do, it will take the whole day. Several places to eat on the grounds too.

Leeds is not so easy to get to, we've been but by car - lovely, but to go by train gets involved. I'd opt for a tour if you must see Leeds. EvansEvans or Frames Rickards have them every day. I am not a tour person, but for Leeds I think I'd do that instead of public transport.

If you want to go to someplace in Kent and don't make it to Leeds, I 'd suggest Canterbury. Very easy to get to by train from either Victoria or Charing Cross Stations. The cathedral is fantastic and the town itself (while touristy) is an interesting place to visit.

You can't beat Hampton Court tho for sheer loveliness ... take the train from Waterloo (30 min). You can also get a combined ticket for castle & train and it saves a pound of two. Hampton Court is my absolute favorite.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:43 AM
gb

Try to hit Warwick on a weekend. There are many different kinds of events, like a Renaissance fair, medival tournaments, roving dancers and singers. OR write to them and find out when they have special events going on. Same goes for Kenilworth.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 12:02 PM
janis

The website lists all special events and lots of other info

www.warwick-castle.co.uk/

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Prue

We visited Leeds Castle and Canterbury with Evan Evans last year and thoroughly enjoyed the day.
The gardens at Leeds are wonderful and so are the floral arrangements inside the Castle - apparently the American owner when she died left provision that these stunning arrangements be a permanent part of the castle's decor.
The Tour left London (Victoria) about 9.30 (we were collected from our hotel and taken to a central spot at Victoria)then deposited at a tube station on the return to London about 6 pm.since our hotel was not in the Victoria area.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Phyllis Taylor

Thanks everyone for your help. This is my first trip to Europe and I can use all the suggestions I can get.

Thanks again.